This creamy and luxurious vegan risotto recipe gets a nutrition boost from pumpkin. Most risottos are full of butter and loads of cheese. This vegan pumpkin version is lightened up so you can feel extra good about eating comfort food.
What are the health benefits of pumpkin?
Want more vegan and gluten-free pumpkin recipes in your life?
Try these pumpkin recipes (both savory and sweet):
Homemade Pumpkin Puree (pressure cooker)
Homemade Pumpkin Puree (oven)
For nights when you don’t want a lot of mess, this one-pot recipe makes life just a tad bit easier.
Now let’s make vegan pumpkin risotto happen!
This dairy-free risotto is incredibly creamy and loaded with bold flavor from white onion, garlic and white wine. Pumpkin puree and peas boost the nutritional value and help sneak in some veggies. This recipe makes a huge batch and serves about eight. You can half the recipe if you are not looking to make as much. Although I highly recommend just following it as is since it makes great leftovers and freezes well.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup homemade pumpkin puree
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup vegan, soy-free butter
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional – this gives it a cheesy flavor)
- garnish: fresh Italian-flat leaf parsley and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent (but not browning), 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic, stir and cook for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the rice, mix it together with the onions so the dry rice toasts a little bit (about 1 minute). Add the wine, scrape up anything that’s sticking to the pan, and let the wine simmer down for another minute.
- Add broth and bring to a rolling boil. Then immediately reduce the heat to low and let simmer (stirring occasionally) for about 35 minutes until liquid is mostly absorbed.
- Add the pumpkin puree and stir to combine. Simmer on low for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, vegan butter and nutritional yeast if using. Simmer on low for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately. Top with fresh parsley and freshly ground black pepper.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If storing leftovers in the freezer leave one inch at the top for expansion.
- Category: One-Pot Meal
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: vegan pumpkin risotto