A simple one-pot, plant-based meal with fresh Mexican flavor. This dish will be ready in 30 minutes or less. It serves six so likely there will be leftovers making this a wonderful option for meal planning/prepping.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 jalapeno, diced (stem and seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1.5 cup uncooked white quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2.5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 juicy lime, juiced
- 6 green onions, diced
- Serve with:
- diced avocado, lime wedges and zest, more green onions, more cilantro
- In a large rimmed saute pan (this is the one I use) heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add red onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeno, salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes until onions are soft and start to turn translucent.
- Add the quinoa, tomato paste, vegetable broth and diced tomatoes and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil. Place the pan lid securely on top and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes without lifting the lid. My pan is non-stick and ceramic and cooks everything evenly without burning the bottom. It took 20 minutes exactly in my pan and I checked on it by viewing through the clear lid.
- Once all the liquid is absorbed, turn the burner off and stir in the black beans, cilantro, lime juice and green onions. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. You may want to add more salt, pepper, lime juice or cilantro. Enjoy immediately hot or warm. Serve with a generous amount of avocado, cilantro and green onions.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days. It can be reheated in the microwave in a microwave safe container if desired (without the avocado)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Mexican