Lately I have been topping everything with this simple homemade granola: smoothie bowls, yogurt parfaits, chia seed pudding and oatmeal. It adds a bit of crunch, nuttiness and sweetness and just seems to make everything that much better. I even enjoy it plain or as a “cereal” with plant milk.
This recipe only requires four main ingredients: oats, pecans, avocado oil (or coconut oil) and pure maple syrup. I also like to add an optional touch of cinnamon and vanilla for sweetness. The whole house smells amazing when it bakes… baked pecans, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup together make an incredible aroma. This pecan granola is very customizable and you can add to it to vary things up if you wish. You may want to add dried fruit or try different spices.
The granola is gluten-free, vegan, butter-free and refined sugar-free. For a nut-free version you can substitute hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds for the pecans. Or, try my other favorite granola recipe: Super Seed Granola (totally nut-free).
The recipe below is great for sprinkling on things and is super simple. It is slightly chewy and not as clumpy as most granola recipes. My Super Seed Granola recipe is going to give you the bigger clusters and will be a bit harder. So it just depends on your granola preference. For smoothie bowls, I love the below recipe because it is light and doesn’t overwhelm each bite.
This simple and healthy granola recipe makes the perfect addition to smoothie bowls, oatmeal, yogurt or chia seed pudding. It is also great on its own or with your favorite plant milk. The recipe is gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free and offers plant based protein and whole grains. Make the recipe your own and add dried fruit or other nuts or seeds if you wish. You can also play around with the seasonings and use pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice to give it a seasonal flare.
- 3 cups rolled old fashioned oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 cup raw chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients well. Transfer the mixture to the lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer using a spatula.
- Bake for 30 minutes tossing halfway. Watch closely at the end to ensure the granola does not burn. You are looking for a golden brown color.
- Allow the granola to cool completely on the baking sheet before enjoying. Granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
This recipe does not produce large clusters of granola. The consistency of this granola is great for sprinkling as a topping or enjoying as a “cereal.”
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade pecan granola
This recipe was inspired by Eat Yourself Skinny’s Easy 3-Ingredient Granola.