These plant-based Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas have it all: a salty, crunchy gluten free flour tortilla topped with creamy refried black beans, crispy seasoned roasted sweet potatoes, crunchy and flavorful red cabbage slaw, cool and creamy avocado, fresh cilantro, green onions and zesty lime juice. Altogether this wholesome dish is flavor-packed and so easy to make.
For the tostada
- 4 small tortillas (I used almond flour tortillas by Siete)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (1/2 tablespoon per tortilla)
- flaky sea salt (for sprinkling after it comes out of the oven)
For the Refried Black Beans
- 1, 15 ounce can no-salt-added black beans (with juices)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Make the perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes. You can make in advance and reheat in your oven before serving.
- To make the tostadas, preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the tortillas in a single layer on a bare baking sheet. Tortillas should not be touching Lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with avocado oil. Bake on the middle rack for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Flip halfway through for even browning. Add a generous sprinkle of flaky sea salt as soon as they come out of the oven.
- For the homemade refried black beans: place the entire can of black beans including the juices in a small pot over medium heat. Cook down for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Mash the black beans using a potato masher. Add seasonings during the last couple minutes of cooking. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- To assemble the tostadas, spread the refried black beans on top of each crispy tortilla. Top with roasted sweet potatoes, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, slaw and green onions.
- For the red cabbage slaw, if you are in a hurry you can leave out the apple and onion and just use more red cabbage. It is easier and quicker to make this way and just as yummy in this recipe.
- More garnish/topping ideas: finely chopped red onion, thinly sliced radishes, diced jalapeño, pico de gallo, Creamy Dairy-Free Cilantro Jalapeno Lime Sauce
- You could also use this Creamy Vegan Black Bean Dip in place of the homemade refried black beans. It is a quicker option and still loaded with flavor. If you use it I would recommend warming the dip.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican