This Vegan Chocolate Chia Pudding is made with just 5 ingredients, but the finished product is a rich, creamy, and decadent dish. It's filled with incredible nutrition (over 9 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein!). Make it in just a few minutes and top it with almond butter and granola for the best treat ever!
Did you see Kim Kardashian post her "chia cereal" on social media? I don't usually follow the Kardashians, but whenever a yummy plant-based recipe gets some attention I get totally excited! This Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding is an awesome dish to meal prep ahead of time since it needs some time to set up in the refrigerator. My kids won't touch my Classic Creamiest Chia Seed Pudding, but they go CRAZY for this chocolate version. I think it's because they can't see the chia seeds! Whatever the reason, I'm happy they're getting tons of amazing nutrients in with their favorite snack/dessert.
Ingredients in Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
This is a super short ingredient list! The pudding itself is really just plant-based milk and chia seeds; everything else just adds that delicious, rich, chocolatey flavor.
- Almond or oat milk - I've made this with both almond milk and oat milk and it turns out perfectly. If you make your own vegan milks, you can create an extra thick consistency for an even creamier pudding! YUM.
- Chia seeds - Would you believe that it only takes three tablespoons to make the perfect thick, scoopable consistency? I'm telling you, chia seeds are incredible!
- Cocoa powder - Make sure you're using unsweetened cocoa powder to keep this recipe free of refined sugars.
- Pure maple syrup - This is my sweetener of choice! It's make from just one ingredient: the sap from maple trees. It adds a delicious sweetness without overdoing it!
- Vanilla extract - Just a splash will pair perfectly with the chocolate.
- Raw creamy almond butter - This is a totally optional addition (the pudding is delicious without it!), but I think it makes your Chocolate Chia Pudding extra creamy and delicious. Plus, it adds protein!
All About Chia Seeds
I seriously buy chia seeds in bulk because they are SO loaded with nutrition. Many consider chia seeds to be a “superfood” as they offer important nutrients in just a few calories. I add them into almost every smoothie I make! Chia seeds resemble poppy seeds and are technically part of the mint family. According to the National Institutes of Health, chia seeds are rich in fiber (one tablespoon provides 19% of your recommended daily fiber!), essential fatty acids (omega-3 and omega-6), and antioxidants that help prevent cell damage. They also offer protein and are high in calcium, iron, and magnesium.
More chia seed recipes:
Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding Toppings
The toppings might be another reason my kids love this recipe so much. They get so excited to add their own dollop of whipped cream, a drizzle of Healthy Homemade Nutella, or a handful of granola!
- How to Make Coconut Whipped Cream (refined sugar-free + vegan + paleo)
- Healthy Homemade Nutella (vegan, paleo)
- Homemade Raw Creamy Almond Butter
- Easy Cinnamon Vanilla Granola
- Sliced fruit - Berries or bananas would be so good!
- Nuts - Slivered almonds or Healthy Maple Candied Pecans would add a satisfying crunch on top.
This Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding is grain-free, low-carb, paleo, gluten-free, vegan, and has an easy nut-free option. Treats like this make me so happy. I love that anyone can enjoy it! If you make it, I hope you'll tag me on Instagram and drop a review below. You can also subscribe to my newsletter for weekly recipes dropped right in your inbox or come party with me on TikTok!
More Plant-Based Puddings
- The Creamiest Chia Seed Pudding
- Key Lime Pie Pudding Parfaits with California Avocados (vegan and free of gluten, nuts, + refined sugar!)
- No-Cook Blackberry Vanilla Pudding (vegan + paleo)
- Peaches & Cream Overnight Chia Yogurt
- Chia Seed Breakfast Bowls or Parfaits
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie Pudding
- Instant Vegan Chocolate Pudding (refined sugar-free)
- No-Cook, No-Avocado Vegan Chocolate Pudding (refined sugar free + gluten free + nut free)
This Vegan Chocolate Chia Pudding is made with just 5 ingredients, but the finished product is a rich, creamy, and decadent dish. It's filled with incredible nutrition (over 9 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein!). Make it in just a few minutes and top it with granola for the best treat ever!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or oat milk
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- optional: 2 tablespoons raw creamy almond butter (to make it extra creamy and add protein)
Optional Topping Ideas:
- In a medium-sized lidded jar whisk together the milk, chia seeds, cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla. Add almond butter if using (make sure it is a new jar and/or runny). For the initial 15 minutes whisk every 5 minutes to make sure the chia seeds distribute evenly. Once everything is well incorporated, cover with the lid and place in your refrigerator overnight (at least 4 hours until thickened and cold).
- In the morning, stir with a spoon and enjoy. Garnish with your favorite toppings such as creamy almond butter and granola.
- Chia pudding lasts up to four days in your refrigerator if stored in an airtight container. After that look for normal signs of spoilage.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Breakfast or Snack
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 97.9 mg
- Fat: 7.8 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.4 g
- Fiber: 7.5 g
- Protein: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg