Roasted butternut squash, bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms and zucchini all tossed in a creamy vegan sauce over gluten-free pasta...it's the perfect weeknight sheet pan dinner! Weeknight Vegan Roasted Veggie Creamy Pasta has a whole rainbow of veggies and the most satisfying, comforting sauce. Everyone digs right in!
If you couldn't tell, I've been on a bit of a rainbow kick lately! I am loving recipes that bring every color of the rainbow to the table. Creamy Rainbow Veggie Orzo Soup and Raw Rainbow Veggie Wraps have seriously been rocking my world, and I wanted to bring that same color and flavor into a weeknight pasta dish! Enter Weeknight Vegan Roasted Veggie Creamy Pasta. It starts with a sheet pan of colorful roasted veggies, a pot of perfectly-cooked gluten-free pasta, and creamy vegan pasta sauce. Toss them all together into one big dish of dreamy weeknight pasta and enjoy!
Weeknight Roasted Veggie Creamy Pasta Ingredients
I love an ingredient list that's mostly veggies! This weeknight pasta dinner has a whole rainbow of vegetables that get roasted on a sheet pan before being tossed with creamy pasta sauce.
- Mushrooms - I like Cremini, Baby Bella or White Button mushrooms, but any of your favorites will work great here! Lately I've been roasting mushrooms on a sheet pan and I am obsessed. Like...mind blown by how delicious they are! They take on a totally different texture - almost chewy like meat. Even mushroom haters would be surprised with roasted mushrooms.
- Butternut squash - This is my favorite winter squash! Butternut squash is subtly sweet and loaded with nutrients. You could also make this recipe with sweet potatoes or carrots and get the same rainbow of delicious veggies on the pan. For more recipes with butternut squash, check out the Winter Squash Recipe Roundup!
- Red onions - This is going to bring bold flavor to your pasta! I like to slice it thin so they crisp up and caramelize nicely in the oven. And, when cut thinly, I get red onion in every bite.
- Zucchini - It adds beautiful color, delicious natural veggie flavor, and it's rich in vitamins A and C. It always pairs well with pasta - you almost don't even notice it.
- Red bell pepper - You can use any color of bell pepper, but I find that red are the sweetest and mildest. They actually contain 11 times more beta carotene and four times more vitamin C than green bell peppers!
- Garlic - For this recipe we'll be using my How to Roast Garlic Perfectly method to create garlic cloves that are flavorful and so tender that they melt right into the sauce. Seriously...once you roast garlic you won't make it any other way! In this recipe you do it right on the same sheet pan at the same time as the veggies. Easy!
- Roasting essentials - This is olive oil, salt and pepper!
- Seasonings - Garlic powder, Italian seasoning blend, red chili flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. I'd omit the red chili flakes if you have little ones eating this dinner that are sensitive to spice.
- Vegan Cashew Cream - This is probably my most-used recipe of all time. I start by soaking cashews, then blending them with a bit of water until they form a smooth neutral-tasting sauce that I use to give vegan recipes the most incredible creamy texture!
How to Make Roasted Veggie Creamy Pasta
I've got this process down to a science so everything is ready with no stress on your part! Cook the pasta while the veggies roast, make the sauce, toss it all together, and you're eating the first bite of your new favorite dinner before you know it.
- Start by getting the veggies prepped with oil, salt and pepper and spread out on a half baking sheet. I try to avoid overlapping, which creates pockets of hot air that steam, rather than roast, the vegetables.
- Roast a head of garlic at the same time! Slice the top ¼-inch off the top of a head of garlic. Wrap it in aluminum foil, drizzling it with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt before you seal off the top so none of the garlic is exposed. Toss it onto the pan with the veggies! Cook everything at 425 for 20 minutes, toss the veggies well, and return to the oven for another 20-25 minutes until everything is golden brown.
- While the veggies are roasting, cook your pasta according to package instructions. I add salt into the pasta water for the best flavor! Once it's finished cooking, remove the pasta from the water with a pasta ladle and move it into a 12-inch skillet. Make sure to reserve at least ½ cup of the pasta water.
- Let's add some flavor! Add oil, seasonings, and the roasted garlic to the cooked pasta. Sauté it all over medium heat for 5 minutes, then add reserved pasta water and cashew cream. Now it's smelling incredible and looking creamy and perfect!
- Finish it off with the roasted veggies and toss everything well to combine. If it seems dry at all, add a bit more pasta water! Enjoy, and reheat the leftovers on the stovetop with a bit of water.
Once I found a few gluten-free options I loved, I became hooked on making vegan and gluten-free pasta dinners! I love the brands Jovial and Andean Dream for delicious, gluten-free pastas. They cook, store, and reheat just as well as traditional pasta, but they're free of allergens! Check out my link below for all of my gluten-free resources and favorite products.
How to Make Creamy Pasta Vegan
Since I'm vegan (no dairy!), I don't use heavy cream or dairy-based cheeses in my recipes. Instead, I make my own version out of...cashews! Yup, cashews create the perfect base for a sauce that turns so many of my favorite recipes into creamy and delicious perfection. Soak them overnight (or for just an hour or two in boiling water!), then rinse and blend with filtered water. Read more about this process, how and why I soak cashews, and my nut-free version using the links below!
I hope you love this vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and refined sugar-free Roasted Veggie Creamy Pasta! It even has a nut-free option, too. It's a win for everyone! If you make my recipes, I would absolutely love it if you tagged me on Instagram so I can see how they turned out. It makes my whole day! You can also leave a review below to help others who may want to try this dish. If you want more easy vegan weeknight dinners, subscribe to my newsletter to receive a free printable download filled with more tasty meals like this one!
More Weeknight Pasta Favorites
- No-Boil Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Baked Orzo
- Pasta Fresca (vegan + gluten-free)
- Vegan No-Boil Pasta Bake
- Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce with Caramelized Onions
- Roasted Veggie Tomato Sauce for Pasta
- Easy Red Lentil Veggie Pasta (vegan)
- Vegan Baked Feta Pasta
- Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Black Lentils and Creamy Marinara Sauce (vegan + GF)
- Chunky Tomato Basil Spaghetti
- Easy Creamy Vegan Pasta Sauce (paleo)
- Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (Pasta with Roasted Garlic, Olive Oil, Chile and Parsley)
Weeknight Roasted Veggie Creamy Vegan Pasta
- Total Time: 1 hour
Roasted butternut squash, bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms and zucchini all tossed in a creamy vegan sauce over gluten-free pasta...it's the perfect weeknight sheet pan dinner!
For the roasted veggies
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (cremini, baby bella or white button)
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (or carrots)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large head garlic
For the pasta
- 12 ounces short-cut pasta (penne or rotini) [gluten-free if desired]
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon fine salt
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1 batch vegan cashew cream (or more if desired)
- ½ cup reserved pasta water (or more as needed)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place all the veggies directly on a half sheet baking sheet (no need to line with parchment paper). Pour ¼ cup olive oil overtop the veggies and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss well to evenly coat all veggies with the olive oil (using tongs or two large spoons). Spread into one even layer and avoid them overlapping. Use two baking pans if needed.
- Remove the top ¼-inch of the garlic head with a sharp knife to expose the garlic cloves. Discard the top of the garlic (or save for homemade veggie broth). Place the exposed garlic head in aluminum foil and drizzle with additional olive oil (about 1 tablespoon). Sprinkle with salt. Tightly wrap the garlic bulb in the aluminum foil and place on the baking sheet with the veggies.
- Place the baking sheet(s) on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile start to cook the pasta according to package instructions (I like to salt my pasta water for the best flavor).
- After the veggies have baked for 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and toss the veggies well Bake another 20-25 minutes until everything is golden brown. The mushrooms and onions should look golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Once the pasta is done cooking remove the cooked pasta from the water using a pasta ladle and transfer the cooked and drained pasta to a 12-inch skillet (reserve at least ½ cup of the pasta water). Add the oil, and seasonings (salt, garlic powder, dried Italian seasoning, red chili flakes and pepper) to the cooked pasta. Unwrap the head of garlic and use tongs to squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves. Smash them with a fork or press them through a garlic press and then add to the skillet. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegan cashew cream and reserved pasta water to the skillet. Add the roasted veggies and toss well to combine. Toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve hot. If the pasta seems dry add more reserved pasta water to make it creamy again (¼ cup at a time over low heat).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat on the stovetop with ¼-1/2 cup water for best results.
Measuring Spoons [use code ELAINE-10 for 10% off]Buy Now →
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 50
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
Keywords: weeknight roasted veggie creamy vegan pasta
Leave a Reply