Roasted butternut squash, bell pepper, red onion, mushrooms and zucchini all tossed in a creamy vegan sauce over gluten-free pasta...it's the perfect weeknight sheet pan dinner!
For the roasted veggies
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (cremini, baby bella or white button)
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (or carrots)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large head garlic
For the pasta
- 12 ounces short-cut pasta (penne or rotini) [gluten-free if desired]
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- 1 batch vegan cashew cream (or more if desired)
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water (or more as needed)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place all the veggies directly on a half sheet baking sheet (no need to line with parchment paper). Pour 1/4 cup olive oil overtop the veggies and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss well to evenly coat all veggies with the olive oil (using tongs or two large spoons). Spread into one even layer and avoid them overlapping. Use two baking pans if needed.
- Remove the top 1/4-inch of the garlic head with a sharp knife to expose the garlic cloves. Discard the top of the garlic (or save for homemade veggie broth). Place the exposed garlic head in aluminum foil and drizzle with additional olive oil (about 1 tablespoon). Sprinkle with salt. Tightly wrap the garlic bulb in the aluminum foil and place on the baking sheet with the veggies.
- Place the baking sheet(s) on the middle rack of your preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile start to cook the pasta according to package instructions (I like to salt my pasta water for the best flavor).
- After the veggies have baked for 20 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and toss the veggies well Bake another 20-25 minutes until everything is golden brown. The mushrooms and onions should look golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Once the pasta is done cooking remove the cooked pasta from the water using a pasta ladle and transfer the cooked and drained pasta to a 12-inch skillet (reserve at least 1/2 cup of the pasta water). Add the oil, and seasonings (salt, garlic powder, dried Italian seasoning, red chili flakes and pepper) to the cooked pasta. Unwrap the head of garlic and use tongs to squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves. Smash them with a fork or press them through a garlic press and then add to the skillet. Saute over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegan cashew cream and reserved pasta water to the skillet. Add the roasted veggies and toss well to combine. Toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Serve hot. If the pasta seems dry add more reserved pasta water to make it creamy again (1/4 cup at a time over low heat).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat on the stovetop with 1/4-1/2 cup water for best results.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 50
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
Keywords: weeknight roasted veggie creamy vegan pasta