Nutella, in smoothie bowl form! Why didn't I think of this before?
There is something addictive about hazelnuts plus chocolate with a hint of vanilla and a touch of salt. It is the perfect combination and incredibly decadent.
I basically took these star ingredients from Nutella and combined them with hazelnut milk, ice and riced frozen cauliflower to make it thick and creamy. What did I leave out? I omitted the palm oil, artificial flavors and sugar that are found in Nutella. I naturally sweetened the smoothie with dates and used cacao powder for the chocolate flavor. You are left with all the wonderful Nutella flavor in a frosty, smoothie bowl that you can feel really good about indulging in. I then topped it with all the things that pair well with Nutella flavors: bananas, fresh berries and granola.
This smoothie bowl is filling, full of plant-based protein, healthy fats and dietary fiber and so incredibly satisfying.
In these photos I show two versions (same smoothie base but different toppings). Do whatever makes you happy. You really cannot go wrong with this sweet treat.
This smoothie recipe is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, peanut-free and refined sugar-free. If you give it a try, please let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it above, and tag a photo @eatingbyelaine and #eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your creations.
- 6 large medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- ¼ blanched slivered almonds (not sliced almonds)
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut butter (optional)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 cup unsweetened hazelnut milk
- 2-3 cups ice cubes
- Topping Ideas: hemp seeds, chocolate chips, homemade granola, cacao nibs, banana slices, berries, nut or seed butters, actual nutella
- In a high speed blender, blend dates, hazelnuts, slivered almonds, cacao powder, vanilla, hazelnut butter (if using), hemp seeds (if using), chia seeds (if using), pinch of salt, frozen riced cauliflower and hazelnut milk.
- Add 1 cup of ice and blend again. Add a second cup of ice and blend again. Taste and see if it is thick and frosty enough for your liking. If not, add more frozen cauliflower or 1 additional cup of ice. I usually do as I like a thick and frosty smoothie bowl.
- Pour into two bowls and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy immediately with a spoon.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast