If you're looking for easy and delicious ways to add greens into your day, you've gotta try this Vegan Creamed Spinach. It's filled with savory, comforting flavors and, of course, tons of spinach! Add it to your holiday menu or whip it up on a weeknight and surprise everyone with just HOW good leafy greens can be!
Do you usually have Creamed Spinach at your holiday table? For a while now I've suspected I could create a totally dairy-free version, and I'm so glad I finally gave it a try. This Vegan Creamed Spinach tastes just like the traditional dish...maybe even better! The subtle, mild flavor of the cashew cream pairs perfectly with garlic, onions, and spinach for a savory side dish that's absolutely packed with nutrients. I used Cashew Cream to keep this dish plant-based, but if you're nut-free, I've also got an option to use Sunflower Seed Cream Sauce to create the same dish! I love it when a recipe can work for everyone no matter the allergies or dietary preferences at the table, and this one is easy enough to make on a weeknight.
In this post...
- Ingredients in Vegan Creamed Spinach
- How to Make Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach
- All About Spinach
- More Recipes Featuring Leafy Greens
Ingredients in Vegan Creamed Spinach
Aside from fresh spinach, this Creamed Spinach is made from all pantry ingredients! I always have cashews on hand
- Extra virgin olive oil - This is just to get the pan started! I love Pomoro and get regular shipments. Use my code EBE25 for 25% off your first order!
- White or yellow onion - I used one large onion and diced it small. You should end up with just over a cup of diced onion!
- Salt and pepper - I start with just a dash of each and then adjust as needed for flavor.
- Garlic, minced - Use 2 large cloves or 3 small ones. You can add a little bit more if you're a garlic lover, but I found the flavor was just right with 2 or 3 cloves!
- Fresh spinach - Do a rough chop of your spinach, which only takes a minute! Rough chopping just means you're doing a few chops with your knife, not worrying about consistency in sizing. Spinach cooks down so much that you don't need to be too precise here.
- Cashew Cream - Here's our superstar secret ingredient! Cashew cream adds perfect, creamy flavor and consistency while keeping this recipe totally plant-based.
How to Make Dairy-Free Creamed Spinach
I made this Creamed Spinach without dairy using my Easy Homemade Vegan Cashew Cream! This is an incredibly easy recipe that creates a thick, delicious cream that I use in so many recipes. Using cashews in this recipe adds plant-based protein in addition to copper, magnesium, manganese, vitamin K, phosphorous and zinc. For a nut-free Vegan Creamed Spinach, try my Easy Sunflower Seed Cream Sauce!
All About Spinach
Even after getting a master's degree in Public Health and a Master Certified Health Education Specialist certification through the NCHEC I am STILL amazed by the benefits of plant-based ingredients! One serving of raw spinach (about ½ cup) has only 5 calories and contains 60% of your daily vitamin A and 15% of your daily vitamin C. It also has folate, manganese, calcium, magnesium, and iron. I love adding powerhouse veggies like this into a busy day!
This delicious, traditional side dish is made without dairy, eggs, gluten, refined sugar, or soy! You could even make a nut-free version using Easy Sunflower Seed Cream Sauce. I hope you make and love this dish. Tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations, and don't forget to drop a review below!
More Recipes Featuring Leafy Greens
- How to Make Frozen Spinach (or Kale!) Cubes for Smoothies
- Simple Side Salad Recipe
- Vegan Protein Kale Salad (nut-free + gluten-free)
- Kid-Friendly Spinach Smoothie (vegan)
- Easy Vegan Kale Pesto (low oil)
- Dye-Free Green Pancakes (vegan, gluten-free, refined sugar-free)
- Spinach Quinoa Salad with Roasted Blueberry Vinaigrette
- Best Crispy Kale Chips
- Dye-Free Green Muffins (vegan + gluten-free + nut-free + refined sugar-free)
- Easy Detox Smoothie (that actually tastes good!) [vegan + paleo + nut-free]
- Minty Kale Smoothie
Vegan Creamed Spinach
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Vegan Creamed Spinach is filled with tasty, savory flavors! You'll be shocked by how delicious AND easy this recipe is!
- 2 tablespoons extra. virgin olive oil
- ½ large white or yellow onion, diced (~ 1 1/14 cup diced)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (or 3 small cloves)
- 15-ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- ½ cup cashew cream
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onion, salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat. Lower the burner to low heat and allow the onion to caramelize for 10-20 minutes (however much time you have - the longer the better for the best flavor).
- While the onion caramelizes you can make the cashew cream, roughly chop your spinach and mince your garlic.
- Add garlic to the skillet and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the skillet and use tongs to move it around for 3-5 minutes over low heat. It will seem like a lot of spinach at first but it will wilt down as it cooks. You can do this in 5-ounce batches if that is easier to manage. Just be careful not to overcook the spinach. You want it to just wilt slightly. It will continue to cook as you add the cashew cream.
- Gently stir in the cashew cream. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper if desired. Add more cashew cream if you want a creamier dish. Serve immediately. Best when fresh.
Measuring Spoons [use code ELAINE-10 for 10% off]Buy Now →
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan creamed spinach
Holly Sebastian says
Another great cashew cream recipe!!! I always have extra cashew cream and this recipe is perfect for it. I made this for my kids the other day as a side and they loved it! I added in some extra garlic powder because I love that flavor.
Elaine Gordon says
Thank you so much, Holly! So happy to hear you and your kids enjoyed this one! Love garlic too so good call!