Vegan Creamed Spinach is filled with tasty, savory flavors! You'll be shocked by how delicious AND easy this recipe is!
- 2 tablespoons extra. virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large white or yellow onion, diced (~ 1 1/14 cup diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced (or 3 small cloves)
- 15-ounces fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cashew cream
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onion, salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat. Lower the burner to low heat and allow the onion to caramelize for 10-20 minutes (however much time you have - the longer the better for the best flavor).
- While the onion caramelizes you can make the cashew cream, roughly chop your spinach and mince your garlic.
- Add garlic to the skillet and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the skillet and use tongs to move it around for 3-5 minutes over low heat. It will seem like a lot of spinach at first but it will wilt down as it cooks. You can do this in 5-ounce batches if that is easier to manage. Just be careful not to overcook the spinach. You want it to just wilt slightly. It will continue to cook as you add the cashew cream.
- Gently stir in the cashew cream. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper if desired. Add more cashew cream if you want a creamier dish. Serve immediately. Best when fresh.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: vegan creamed spinach