This hearty vegan red lentil soup is loaded with good-for-you ingredients and tastes incredible. It is creamy, full of pungent flavor and will warm your body (and soul) from the inside out.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced*
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced*
- 3 large celery stalks, leaves/ends removed and diced*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric (or more if desired using up to 1 tablespoon total)
- 1, 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup split red lentils
- 1/2 cup split peas
- 7 cups Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth (or 8 cups for a more brothy soup)
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted blanched and slivered almonds, soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes (or sub raw unsalted cashews; learn all about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post)
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, diced
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- Stir frequently for even cooking.
- Add the garlic and turmeric and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes (and their juices), red lentils, split peas and the Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down heat and let simmer uncovered for one hour until split peas are soft.
- Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile make the almond cream sauce. Drain and rinse the soaked almonds and add to a high speed blender.
- Add fresh water and blend on high speed for at least one minute.
- Check the sauce to ensure it is smooth and creamy.
- Once split peas are soft, turn off heat. Stir in fresh parsley and almond cream sauce.
- Season to taste and serve. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper, fresh diced parsley and a drizzle of almond cream sauce if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week or in your freezer for two months.
* I like to dice my onion, carrots and celery extra small for this recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 67 mins
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: America
Keywords: red lentil vegetable soup, lentil soup, vegan lentil soup, red lentil soup, creamy vegan soup