This more nutritious version of the classic childhood rice crispy treat is super simple to make. They are basically like no-bake almond butter rice crisp granola bars with a thin dark chocolate shell. I love to enjoy them straight out of the freezer for a snack or dessert.
For the almond butter rice crispy treats:
- 1 cup runny unsweetened, unsalted creamy raw almond butter (a new jar works best here)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or melted vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 3 cups gluten-free brown rice crisp cereal (I love One Degree Organics gluten-free sprouted brown rice crispy cereal - it is lightly sweetened with coconut sugar keeping it refined sugar-free)
For the chocolate topping:
- Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond butter, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well combined, about 1 minute. Next stir in the brown rice crisp cereal until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, and use a spatula to flatten the top so it is even and well compact. Alternatively, you could place a new sheet of parchment paper overtop the treats and then use the bottom of a glass to press the mixture down without it sticking to the bottom of the glass.
- To melt the chocolate, place the chocolate in a microwave safe measuring cup and heat for 2 minutes. Stir well and pour the melted chocolate over the bars. Use a mini spatula to spread out the chocolate evenly into one thin layer overtop the crispy treats.
- Place pan in the freezer for 1-2 hours. Use a sharp knife to cut into 16 square bars and serve.
- The rice crispy treats can be stored covered in the freezer for up to one month. The treats will soften at room temperature within 10-20 minutes but should stay together. I prefer eating them straight out of the freezer.
- You could use half the amount of melted chocolate and drizzle overtop in a zig-zag pattern.
- You could garnish the top of the rice crispy treats with hemp seeds, flaked sea salt or unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Dessert or Snack
- Method: Freezer
Keywords: Vegan Almond Butter Rice Crispy Treats