This instant, no-bake recipe is freezer friendly making these energy balls perfect for summertime and great for anytime grab-n-go snacks that adults and children both love. Just mix, form into balls and enjoy! They actually taste like raw cookie dough (and who doesn’t love that!?) but they are full of whole grains, dietary fiber, healthful fats and plant-based protein. They come together in under 10 minutes and require only 7 ingredients that you likely have on hand. Preparing them can even make for a fun activity to do with your little ones.
Here is a step-by-step recipe demo video of me preparing these cookie dough bites on SnapChat. And if you click on the image below you can see me making these energy bites with my four year old on Facebook Live:
I like to store these energy balls in the freezer and then pack them with me when I’m on the go. As they thaw out they make the perfect sweet and satisfying snack.
Have dietary restrictions? Have no fear! This recipe is raw, vegan and gluten-free and even has a nut-free option so it should work for everyone in your family.
This recipe is perfect for anyone who is busy but wants a yummy, healthy and filling snack. You can enjoy these energy balls as part of a healthy breakfast, on-the-go nibble or even as a nutritious dessert. And, yes, they taste like actual cookie dough. Too amazing for words!
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour**
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup raw, creamy almond butter***
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir to combine the dry ingredients: oat flour, almond flour and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients: almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir until fully incorporated. The mixture will be thick. If you see dry flour, you may need to add a bit more almond butter.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use your hands to form the dough into small balls (about 1 tablespoon of dough each and about 1 inch in diameter). You can enjoy the energy balls right away at room temperature. To store, place the energy balls in a container and store in your refrigerator.
- To last even longer, you can also store the balls in your freezer and allow them to thaw out a couple of minutes before enjoying each one. For this, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. On the baking sheet leave a little space in between each ball. Place the baking sheet on an even surface in your refrigerator for at least 10 minutes.
- Before enjoying, allow the energy ball to thaw out at room temperature for a couple of minutes. To speed up this process you can microwave an energy ball for 15 seconds to help soften it a bit. Some people even like to enjoy them straight out of the freezer and don’t mind the hard texture. Up to you!
*You can buy oat flour in most mainstream grocery stores now. Or, you can make oat flour yourself by grinding up oats in a mini-food processor or blender. Use gluten-free oats if desired.
**Nut-free option: Use more oat flour in place of the almond flour.
***Any nut or seed butter will work but for the best flavor I prefer raw creamy almond butter. Make sure you use a nut or seed butter that is room temperature. For best results use a new jar so it is runny and not too thick or dry.
- Category: Snack