Just coming back from the Southwest has inspired me to experiment with new flavors and ingredients. This fresh and healthy jicama salad is perfect as a fun side for a BBQ.
- 1 large jicama, peeled and sliced thinly into short strips
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- ½ cup red poblano pepper
- ½ purple onion, diced
- 1 champagne mango, peeled and diced
- 1 green poblano chili
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp cumin powder
- onion powder and black pepper to taste
- other ingredient options: shredded carrots, granny smith apples, scallions
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl and toss
- Let chill in fridge for 1-2 hours and serve
Jicama is a vegetable and is like a cross between a potato and an apple or pear in terms of texture and taste. It has almost no flavor and is crunchy. I found jicama at Whole Foods (had to ask twice – not easy to find) but is available year-round. It looks similar to a turnip with tan skin. It is very low in calories and high in Vitamin C.
Storage: You can store jicama for up to 2 weeks in a plastic bag in your fridge.