This raw, vegan and gluten-free side salad is full of veggies. It is fresh and crispy and dressed with a sweet and tangy dressing that is creamy but mayo-free. Black beans provide plant-based protein making this side dish an entree as well.
For the slaw
- 1 jicama, peeled, julienned, chopped into 1-1.5 inch pieces
- 1 can black beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large juicy limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons runny tahini
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press (or minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- In a large mixing bowl combine jicama, black beans, red bell pepper, red onion, green onion and cilantro. Stir and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing: In a small glass bowl add all dressing ingredients and whisk well. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a glass mason jar and shake well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the jicama salad and toss well. Chill the jicama salad in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, toss again and then serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. The jicama will remain crispy once dressed.
nesting lidded glass mixing bowlsBuy Now →
knife set (code ELAINE for 10% off)Buy Now →
For best results, slice the jicama as thin as possible.
For best results, chill your jicama and bell pepper in advance.
- Prep Time: 20
- Category: Side
Keywords: southwest jicama slaw