This raw, vegan and gluten-free side salad is full of veggies. It is fresh and crispy and dressed with a sweet and tangy dressing that is creamy but mayo-free. Black beans provide plant-based protein making this side dish an entree as well.
For the slaw
- 1 jicama, peeled, julienned, chopped into 1–1.5 inch pieces
- 1 can black beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large juicy limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons runny tahini
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press (or minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fine salt
- In a large mixing bowl combine jicama, black beans, red bell pepper, red onion, green onion and cilantro. Stir and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing: In a small glass bowl add all dressing ingredients and whisk well. Alternatively, add all ingredients to a glass mason jar and shake well to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the jicama salad and toss well. Chill the jicama salad in the refrigerator for 15 minutes, toss again and then serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. The jicama will remain crispy once dressed.
For best results, slice the jicama as thin as possible.
For best results, chill your jicama and bell pepper in advance.
- Category: Side
Keywords: southwest jicama slaw