Wild blueberries are a nutrition powerhouse. Here I blended them with creamy ingredients and added hints of vanilla and cinnamon to create a frosty breakfast bowl that is sure to satisfy. It is a fun and healthy way to start the day.
These smoothie bowls have a velvety, deep-purple color and perfectly sweet flavor. It really does remind me of the flavors in blueberry pie. I love that it is quick and easy to make. Oh, and no veggies hidden in this one!
This recipe is similar to my Vegan Blueberry Muffin Smoothie that has been quite popular these past two years. I wanted to update the recipe here as my smoothie creation methods have changed a bit since I posted the blueberry muffin smoothie. I'm also using antioxidant-rich wild blueberries in this recipe.
According to the USDA, blueberries have been shown to reduce type 2 diabetes risk, promote heart health and are highly beneficial in maintaining memory function, improving mood and preventing cognitive degeneration. Blueberries may promote certain intestinal bacteria that are beneficial to digestive health and the immune system. They are abundant with phyto-components such as flavonoids which give blueberries antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity and may play a role in cancer prevention. They offer a good source of dietary fiber and are an excellent source of essential nutrients such as vitamins C and K and manganese.
According to the Agricultural Research Service for the USDA, wild blueberries are rich in antioxidants too. One serving of wild blueberries has more total antioxidant capacity than one serving of cranberries, strawberries or plums. Studies have shown that wild blueberries could help regulate blood pressure and have the potential to decrease the vulnerability of heart blood vessels to oxidative stress and inflammation.
Given how healthful blueberries are, I'm always trying to add them to my daily routine. Here are more of my blueberry recipes (all are vegan and gluten-free):
This smoothie bowl recipe is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free and peanut-free. I provide a nut-free version below. If you give this recipe a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your creations and feature your pic on my Instagram stories.
A vegan and gluten-free smoothie bowl that tastes like blueberry pie! With strong hints of vanilla and cinnamon and plant-based creaminess from oats and almonds you will feel like you are eating dessert! I sweetened it naturally with dates. It makes for a nutritious breakfast that is both filling and absolutely decadent. It can be enjoyed as a regular smoothie in a glass with a straw or poured into bowls and topped with your favorite smoothie bowl toppings.
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 cup unsweetened, plain non-dairy milk (I use almond milk)
- ¼ cup gluten-free oats
- 2 tablespoon slivered almonds (omit if nut-free. adds creaminess and plant-based protein so you could replace with more hemp seeds)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder*
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 2 cups ice cubes
- Place dates, blueberries, milk of choice, oats, hemp seeds, chia seeds, vanilla and cinnamon in a high speed blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Add 1 cup of ice and blend again.
- Taste and add an additional cup of ice for a thicker and frostier smoothie (I usually do). After tasting you can also add more dates for a sweeter smoothie. You may also want to add more vanilla or cinnamon.
- Pour into two bowls and garnish with fresh blueberries, hemp seeds, chia seeds, almonds, granola and/or oats. You could also grind up gluten-free graham crackers in a mini food processor and sprinkle on top for a pie crust-like flavor.
For best results, use vanilla bean powder. It is expensive but lasts a long time and really provides amazing flavor. You can also substitute vanilla flavored non-dairy milk or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Breakfast