This easier-than-pie blueberry galette is the perfect end of summer healthy dessert! Novice bakers, this is the dessert for you! You won’t need any special equipment or pans to make this blueberry galette. Best of all, it is vegan, gluten-free, grain-free and refined sugar-free.
If you are wondering what a galette is, it is basically pastry dough or pie crust wrapped around fresh fruit. This time of year you could use peaches or blueberries. I can’t wait to try this recipe out with apples next.
Simply roll out the dough, fill it up with the blueberry mixture, fold in the edges and bake for just 25 minutes. That’s it! It is much simpler than traditional pie and I love the perfectly imperfect rustic appeal of it, especially this time of year when you want a dessert that is easy, sweet and satisfying. And, if it doesn’t come out picture perfect, well, that is a-okay!
The crust is made from almond flour, coconut flour and arrowroot powder. The combination of these grain-free baking flours makes for a tender, flaky crust that tastes amazing.
It is the perfect envelope for the juicy, sweet and tart blueberry center.
For an extra special touch, you can brush the top of the crust with coconut oil and add a sprinkle of turbinado sugar or coconut sugar. I love it this way!
Serve this blueberry galette warm right out of the oven with a couple scoops of vegan vanilla ice cream or homemade coconut whipped cream. I love the creamy white and purple sauce that comes from the melted vanilla ice cream over the hot juicy blueberries – heaven!
There likely won’t be any leftovers but if there is, you can omit the ice cream and enjoy it for breakfast the next morning.
This delicious blueberry galette is vegan, paleo, dairy-free, grain-free, soy-free, peanut-free and gluten-free which makes it wonderful for serving to anyone with food allergies or food sensitivities. It is also refined sugar-free and sweetened with pure maple syrup.
If you give this recipe a try, please let me know! Leave a comment below, rate it above, and tag a photo @eatingbyelaine and #eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your blueberry galette creations!
This classically rustic dessert is ideal for stress-free entertaining. It looks and tastes gourmet but is effortless to make. The juicy, sweet and slightly tart blueberries are cradled in the tender crust making every bite perfection.
Serve the blueberry galette warm and enjoy it with a scoop of plant-based vanilla ice cream or coconut whipped cream for an extra creamy touch.
For the crust
- 1 1/2 cup blanched super fine almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon tablespoons arrowroot powder/starch
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, solid
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
For the blueberry filling
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder/starch
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- To make the crust, add almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch and salt to a food processor and pulse until well combined. Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract and almond extract and pulse again until a ball of dough forms. Place the dough in your freezer while you prepare the blueberry filling.
- In a large mixing bowl stir to combine the blueberries, arrowroot powder and maple syrup. Set aside.
- To assemble the galette, place a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface. Remove the ball of dough from the freezer and place on the parchment paper. Then, place another sheet of parchment paper overtop. Use a rolling pin or a glass cup to flatten the dough until it is 1/4-inch thick and in the shape of a circle (it doesn’t have to be perfect).
- Place the blueberry mixture (including the juices) in the center of the dough. The edges of the crust are then folded in an overlapping pattern. To do this, gently fold the edges of the dough over one to two inches of the blueberry mixture. Since the dough is delicate I like to gently lift the bottom sheet of parchment paper to help lift the dough. Work your way around the perimeter and overlap each section so that it is pleated and no blueberries can escape.
- Once folded, brush the dough with coconut oil and sprinkle with coconut sugar or turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes until blueberry filling is bubbling and pastry crust is golden.
You want the dough to be well-chilled before you flatten it. If it is room temperature it will not hold up well during the folding process. The longer you are able to chill the dough the better.
Please note: When I photographed this recipe I added 1 tablespoon of flaxseed to the crust. In the final recipe test I realized the flaxseed is not needed. You certainly could add it. Just know that if you don’t add it then your crust will not have the speckled flaxseed as shown in the photos. I actually think it looks even better without the flaxseed from a purely aesthetic perspective.
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: grain-free blueberry galette, vegan blueberry galette, gluten-free blueberry galette recipe