Cobblers are much easier to make than pie so they are perfect for lazy summer days when you happen to have way too many of one kind of fruit on hand. For me, it was blueberries. I have been getting so many fresh blueberries at the farmer's market lately and needed to use some up. I landed on a gluten-free and yet fluffy, moist, sweet, cake-like topping which paired perfectly with the tart and juicy blueberries. The recipe is vegan and lightly sweetened with only maple syrup making it refined sugar-free. It is full of whole grains from the oats and plant-based protein from the almond flour.
The cobbler has a subtle cinnamon flavor on both layers that makes your home smell dreamy as it cooks. I topped my warm cobbler with a scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream and it was healthy dessert perfection. Real comfort food but without the guilt.
This recipe is so simple to make requiring just one bowl and only 10 minutes of prep time. It bakes in about 30-40 minutes. You will know it is done when the top turns golden brown and the blueberries start to pop. The sauce will begin to creep out and bubble up around the edges of your baking dish. Just beautiful. It is such a warm and comforting plant-based summertime dessert.
This vegan and gluten-free cobbler is the perfect summertime healthy dessert. it is refined sugar-free and full of wholesome ingredients. Serve warm with a scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream.
- For the blueberry inside:
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the cobbler crust:
- 2 cups super fine blanched almond flour
- 1 ¼ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ¾ cup gluten-free oat flour (homemade works best here)
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 "flax or chia egg" (1 tablespoon chia seeds [or ground flaxseeds] + 3 tablespoons warm water combined)*
- ⅓ cup vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine blueberries, arrowroot powder, maple syrup and cinnamon. Pour into a small oven-safe serving dish.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine all cobbler crust ingredients listed above (almond flour, oats, oat flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, chia or flax egg, melted vegan butter or coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla). Stir well. Pour mixture over the blueberries so they are completely covered.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and blueberry juices start to bubble around the edges.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then serve hot or warm with vanilla non-dairy ice cream on top. Alternatively, you can allow the cobbler to cool completely before covering with plastic wrap and storing in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. Best served warm or hot.
* To make your chia seed egg combine the chia seed and water and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 5 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Category: Dessert