I'm always looking for a healthy and inspiring way to wake up and kickstart my day. Solution? Granola without the guilt! This gluten-free, vegan granola is full of heart-healthy fiber from the oats, hemp seeds and flaxseeds. It contains heart-healthy fats from the hemp seeds, almonds, almond flour and walnuts. And it doesn't contain any artificial sugars. Just a touch of maple syrup and dried cranberries for balanced sweetness.
This homemade granola is easy to prepare and doesn't require any special granola making secret skills 😉 The warm cinnamon smell will quickly fill up your kitchen as it bakes in the oven. The granola clusters make a wonderful on-the-go snack or can be enjoyed with almond milk (or any milk of choice) topped with fresh berries. You can also serve atop oatmeal, parfaits or smoothies. And I encourage you to have fun trying it out with different nuts, seeds, dried fruit and sweeteners to make it your own.
Nutty Granola with Hemp Seed & Flaxseed
- Yield: Makes about 6 cups of granola so about twelve ½ cup servings 1x
- ½ cup raw, unsalted almonds
- ½ cup raw, unsalted walnuts
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup almond flour or meal
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup whole flaxseeds (not ground)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper (not wax paper)
- In a mini food processor, process the raw almonds and walnuts for 5 seconds until finely chopped. It is okay to have a combination of larger pieces and powdery meal. Add this mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- To the mixing bowl, add the oats, almond flour, hemp seeds, cranberries, raisins, flaxseeds, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the maple syrup, oil and vanilla extract and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Place the granola mixture on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spatula, gently press down until the granola is about ½ inch thick. Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the pan and bake for 18 minutes until granola is lightly golden around the edges.
- Cool the granola on the baking pan for 1 full hour (at least) before breaking it apart into clusters. This allows the sugars to harden.
- Break the granola into pieces and store in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan
pat Perrella says
The finished product is really good. Didn't take long to make and was so simple. Snack on this regularly. Was looking for a healthy alternative for Protein and good fats and this snack delivers. Found it to be a bit sweet so will tone down the cranberries next time. Great flavor and so many positive benefits.
Elaine Gordon says
Wonderful! Thank you so much, Pat! You can also use unsweetened dried cranberries (I get mine at Whole Foods) next time and that should help a bit. Or reduce the maple syrup slightly. So happy you found this recipe and are loving it!