This easy 10-ingredient recipe comes together in 10 minutes or less. Each energy bite provides healthy fats, fiber and plant-based protein. They taste like a chewy, chocolatey brownie and are gently rolled in walnuts or hemp seeds for the perfect crunch. They make a convenient and portable healthy snack.
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds and/or finely chopped walnuts for rolling
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raw almond butter (or any unsalted nut or seed butter)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or flax oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a shallow, small dish place the hemp seeds or finely chopped walnut pieces. You will use this for rolling or "dipping" the energy bites at the end. Set aside.
- Line a small cookie tray or any small flat surface that is freezer safe with non-bleach parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients (cocoa powder, almond meal, arrowroot starch, ground flaxseed and salt). Stir in the wet ingredients until well incorporated (almond butter, maple syrup, flax oil and vanilla extract).
- Using a medium sized cookie dough scoop create 1.5 tablespoon portions of the dough. Roll into balls and dip half of each ball into the hemp seed or walnut mixture. Place each ball on the lined cookie tray leaving a bit of space between each ball. Place the tray in your freezer for about two hours before enjoying. You can leave in your freezer if desired. If frozen solid overnight you will want to leave the energy balls out at room temperature for about 5 minutes before enjoying.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Snack