Every Thanksgiving I make this sweet potato casserole. My version has a decadent yet nutritious crumble topping that no one will forget. The sweet potato filling is creamy and has a whipped texture that is the perfect cloud-like base for the sweet crispy buttery streusel-like topping. It is simply irresistible! This recipe is gluten-free, nut-free, vegan and refined sugar-free. It is a simple no-fuss dish that can be made in advance.
This busy holiday season, speed things up with this easy Instant Pot sweet potato casserole with a decadent streusel-like topping that no one will forget. The bottom layer is light and has a whipped texture that is the perfect cloud-like base for the crispy and crunchy sweet topping. This is holiday comfort food at its best.
I kept it refined sugar-free using maple syrup as the sweetener. And if you have any gluten-free guests you can let them know there is no flour in the crumble. I used a combination of certified gluten-free rolled oats and raw sunflower seeds which also keep this dish nut-free and super allergy-friendly.
It is deep in flavor from distinct Vietnamese cinnamon, sweet vanilla and warm nutmeg. Together, the cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg give this dish a richness that will shine as your Thanksgiving side dish. And all three ingredients are from Frontier Co-op®. Their spices are high-quality, non-GMO, non-irradiated and non-ETO (a chemical sterilizing agent). Frontier is committed to ethical sourcing, building direct partnerships with their growers and giving back to their grower communities. And beyond the goodness for our bodies, our communities and our environment, these high-quality aromatic spices are authentically delicious and make all the difference in your recipes.
I love an impressive, no-fuss, cozy side dish. This could definitely be made a couple days in advance too. The process is quite simple.
First, cook the sweet potatoes in your Instant Pot (no need to peel first). When finished the skin will come right off like magic.
Hand mash the sweet potato using a potato masher. Or use a hand mixer for the ultimate whipped texture. Either works great.
Combine with the other base ingredients and spread into a casserole dish and set aside.
Then, using a food processor, make the crumble topping by pulsing everything together.
Top the sweet potato casserole base with the crumble and bake until it is nice and crispy.
The entire process takes under an hour. The aromas will peak everyone's interest. With layers of texture and deep flavor you and your family will love this one.
This casserole is vegan, dairy-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free, nut-free and gluten-free which makes it wonderful for serving a crowd with varied food allergies or food sensitivities.Print
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole with Crumble Topping (vegan + gluten-free + nut-free)
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 8-10 1x
This easy casserole is perfect for your holiday table. The creamy, fluffy sweet potatoes are topped with a buttery sweet crunchy topping that is simply irresistible. My version is decadent and yet vegan, refined sugar-free and healthier than most sweet potato casseroles. I kept it gluten-free and nut-free so everyone can enjoy this allergy-friendly side dish.
I cut down on the overall preparation time by cooking the sweet potatoes in an Instant Pot which couldn't be easier.
You can preassemble the casserole ahead of time and reheat in the oven when it is showtime.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (~3 pounds), scrubbed clean but not peeled
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan, soy-free butter
- 1.5 teaspoons Frontier organic Vietnamese ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Frontier organic vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
For the Crumble Topping
- 1 ½ cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Frontier organic vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Frontier organic Vietnamese ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Frontier organic ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a small casserole dish with vegan butter or coconut oil. My casserole dish is 10.5 x 8 x 1.75 inches.
- In a 6-quart Instant Pot, place the steamer basket, 2 cups of water and the whole sweet potatoes in the pot. Secure the lid, seal the vent and cook on manual high pressure for 18 minutes. Manually release the valve and make sure you can easily pierce a knife all the way through the thickest part of the largest sweet potato.*
- Remove the potatoes from the pot onto a cutting board using tongs. Allow the sweet potatoes to cool slightly until you can safely handle them. Then halve each of them and peel the skin off gently using your hands. The skin will very easily fall off. Discard the skin and place the sweet potato into a large mixing bowl. Add the maple syrup, butter (or coconut oil), cinnamon, vanilla and salt and mash with a potato masher. Or, for a creamier, whipped texture use a hand mixer. Once everything is combined, add to casserole dish and use a spatula to spread evenly covering the bottom fully.
- Add all the crumble topping ingredients to a mini food processor and pulse until everything is well combined and sunflower seeds are mostly ground up. I prefer a finer texture so I usually pulse a few extra times to achieve that.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping all over the sweet potato casserole. Evenly distribute the crumble topping so it is fully covered. Bake for 19-22 minutes until golden brown (watch closely at the end to avoid burning). Serve immediately or store in the casserole dish covered in your refrigerator for up to five days. Reheat in your oven before serving.
*Cook for 20 minutes if your sweet potatoes are large and if there are less of them and 15 minutes if they are small and there are more of them. If they are a bit overcooked that is fine, it just might get a bit messy as you peel off the skin but it shouldn't be too bad. If they are undercooked, return them to the Instant Pot for another couple minutes. You definitely don't want them undercooked or the casserole will not be smooth.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan and gluten-free sweet potato casserole
This post is sponsored by Frontier Co-op. All opinions are my own.
Leave a Reply