This easy casserole is perfect for your holiday table. The creamy, fluffy sweet potatoes are topped with a buttery sweet crunchy topping that is simply irresistible. My version is decadent yet vegan, gluten-free and refined sugar-free and healthier than most sweet potato casseroles.
For the Sweet Potato Base:
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (~3 pounds), scrubbed clean but not peeled
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan, soy-free butter
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
For the Crumble Topping:
- 1 1/2 cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain salt
- Cook the sweet potatoes. They are done when a knife can easily slide through the thickest part of the largest sweet potato. If using an oven, set to 400˚F. Pierce the sweet potatoes a few times with a fork (to allow for steam to escape) on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, flipping halfway. If using an Instant Pot, place the steamer basket, 2 cups of water and the whole sweet potatoes in the pot. Secure the lid, seal the vent and cook on manual high pressure for 18 minutes (or up to 25 minutes for larger sweet potatoes). Manually release the valve.
- Halve and skin the sweet potatoes. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled enough to safely handle, halve each of them and peel the skin off gently using your hands. The skin will fall off very easily. Discard the skin.
- Add the sweet potatoes, maple syrup, butter (or coconut oil), cinnamon, vanilla and salt to a mixing bowl. Mash with a potato masher or use a hand mixer for a creamier, whipped texture.
- Transfer the mixture into a casserole dish lightly greased with butter or coconut oil (my dish is 10.5" x 8" x 1.75" for reference). Use a spatula to spread evenly, covering the bottom fully.
- Prepare the crumble topping. Add all the crumble topping ingredients to a mini food processor and pulse until everything is well combined and the sunflower seeds are mostly ground up. I prefer a finer texture so I usually pulse a few extra times to achieve that.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the sweet potato casserole. Evenly distribute until it is fully covered.
- Bake for 19-22 minutes until golden brown. Watch closely at the end to avoid burning!
- Serve immediately or store in the casserole dish covered in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in your oven before serving.
Adjust the cooking time for the sweet potatoes based on their size. Cook them slightly longer if large and slightly shorter if small. If they are a bit overcooked that is fine, it just might get a bit messy as you peel off the skin but it shouldn't affect the dish. If they are undercooked, return them to the oven or Instant Pot for another couple minutes. You definitely don't want them undercooked or the casserole will not be smooth.
You can assemble the casserole ahead of time, refrigerate and bake when ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: no nut sweet potato casserole