With strawberry season in full swing and Cinco de Mayo coming up this week this recipe really created itself. For those of you who sort of cringe at the thought of raw tomatoes, then this is the recipe for you. And even if you love traditional salsa, this is a fun (and sweet) twist that will impress everyone. The strawberries keep the salsa juicy and naturally sweet. The jalapeno, cilantro, lime, garlic and shallot transform this popular fruit into salsa. As the salsa sits it marinates and juices will start to be released from the strawberries.
This salsa comes together in just ten minutes and the result is completely drool worthy. My salty-sweet-spicy craving has been officially satisfied! Happy Cinco de Mayo!
If you make this recipe, be sure to snap a photo and hashtag it #EATINGBYELAINE. I’d love to see what you cook!
Also, if you want a peek inside my kitchen, I’m on snapchat (eatingbyelaine). Let’s be friends! It is ~50% me cooking and ~50% what I eat throughout the day. Stalk me 🙂
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and finely diced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro, finely diced
- ½ jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 spring onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon agave (optional for additional sweetness if your strawberries are not super sweet)
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. For added tang add more lime juice from the other half of the lime. For added spice add more diced jalapeno. You may also want to add more salt, pepper or agave.
- Serve with chips or inside tacos.