This DIY easy homemade sugar scrub exfoliates and moisturizes all at once. Your skin will feel brand new, incredibly soft, and luxurious. It is simple to make yourself with just two main ingredients that you likely have on hand already! This recipe takes about two minutes to make and is much less expensive than store-bought sugar scrubs. Use it as the perfect holiday gift given in cute reusable glass jars!
As soon as the east coast winter hits, my skin dries up. This is especially true since I’m constantly washing my hands to avoid getting sick…not to mention dishes and bath time for the kids! My poor hands need some TLC every now and then to avoid cracking and bleeding from all the harsh water and soap they are exposed to. Whipping up a batch of this sugar scrub is a quick and easy way to soften and hydrate! Since it is homemade you know exactly what is in it…nothing toxic, and only the good stuff! It would be a great gift for neighbors, friends, or family…and especially wonderful for people in professions who wash their hands a lot, like medical professionals or teachers!
DIY Sugar Scrub Ingredients
This recipe takes about two minutes to make, and it’s so much less expensive than store-bought brands! It’s made from just two main ingredients. There are a ton of add-in opportunities here, since the base of this recipe smells neutral and is very simple. If you know someone with sensitive skin or extreme allergies, though, the classic sugar scrub without add-ins would be so appreciated!
- Coconut oil – Use unrefined coconut oil at room temperature, so it’s either very soft or completely liquid and easy to stir in.
- Sugar – Yup, just regular sugar that you can buy at any grocery store! I use Organic Cane Sugar, but you can use the white granulated sugar that’s already in your pantry.
Homemade Sugar Scrub with Essential Oils
In the recipe below I provide an option to add citrus zest or essential oils to the sugar scrub for scent, but it is still wonderful on its own. This is a great basic starter set of essential oils that I love. Each of those scents would make a wonderful addition to the scrub and add extra benefits.
- Citrus is said to boost your mood and energy.
- During cold and flu season I like to add OnGuard essential oil.
- For more of a spa vibe I use eucalyptus and lavendar essential oil for a really soothing blend.
- If you don’t want any fragrance or benefits other than the scrub you can simply leave the essential oils out.
I also provided the option of adding vitamin E oil for an extra moisture boost. This is not required and the sugar scrub is wonderful with just the coconut oil and sugar, but I’ve found the extra nourishment from vitamin E is so nice for super dry hands!
How to Use Sugar Scrub
I use 1/2 tablespoon on both my hands, rub them gently together for 20 seconds, then rinse with water. I pat them dry, and my hands feel like silk! It’s incredible for the dry winter months when your skin needs a bit of extra love. It doubles as the perfect DIY holiday gift! I love to include a pretty wooden spoon tied to the jar when I give it as a gift along with a note containing instructions on how to use it and a thoughtful well wish.
Homemade Sugar Scrub Gift
Everyone goes crazy over thoughtful DIY gifts, and this one is really the gift that keeps on giving! It lasts a long time, promotes self-care, and the tiny glass jar is cute and can be cleaned and reused for storing food. This set of six tiny glass jars are adorable and would be great for gifting the sugar scrub in! I’ve also used the jars found here and they are perfect for gifting. I also use them to store sauces, chia jam, smoothie jar ingredients, and chia seed pudding. You can never had enough glass jars in the kitchen! Tie it off with a bow, add a thoughtful note, and you’re the neighborhood superstar.
I hope you decide to give yourself or someone you know the gift of silky skin this holiday season! If you give this homemade sugar scrub a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can cheer you on. I love seeing the way you add fragrance and package these scrubs! This is a vegan, allergen-friendly gift that is so thoughtful and gentle on sensitive skin.
More Recipes That Make Great Gifts
- Peppermint Body Scrub
- Easy Granola Recipe
- Healthy Homemade Nutella
- Instant Vegan Caramel Sauce
- Homemade Raw Creamy Almond Butter
- 5-Ingredient Vegan Peppermint Patties
- Vegan Almond Butter Cups
- Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles
- Spiced Lentil & Split Pea Soup in a Jar
- Easy Vegan Maple Pecan Granola
- Gluten-Free & Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Sweet & Salty Roasted Pepita Seeds
- Healthy Maple Candied Pecans
This simple DIY sugar scrub exfoliates and moisturizes all at once. Massage a small amount into your skin in circular motions for 20 seconds. Rinse with water and gently pat dry. Your skin will feel brand new and incredibly soft and luxurious. This sugar scrub makes a great gift for others when given in cute little glass jars that can be reused.
- In a small glass bowl stir to combine room temperature coconut oil with sugar using a spoon or fork. Add the optional zest, essential oils or vitamin E oil if using.
- Transfer to an airtight container, seal tightly and store at room temperature for up to two months. If you use the citrus zest it will have a shorter shelf life.
To keep the sugar scrub fresh do not introduce moisture or anything to the jar. Use a spoon to portion it out in your hand and do not double dip it. Always seal it tightly.
- Category: self-care
- Method: Stir
Keywords: Easy homemade sugar scrub