Well, this has been an epic spring so far here in Baltimore. Day one, it was raining ice. Today, day two, looks like a snow globe outside. We are about to head out and sled with the kids in a couple inches of snow. I cannot wait to come back and slurp down a steamy hot bowl of this creamy asparagus soup and pretend it really is spring.
Yesterday I quickly pulled together this revamped version of my roasted asparagus soup recipe from last year. I wanted to eliminate the roasting of the asparagus to make it quicker, easier and less messy. This one-pot version is simple and comes together in less than 20 minutes (without sacrificing any flavor).
This soup is:
- Quick and easy to make
- Vibrant green
- Creamy (and yet dairy-free)
- Warm and comforting
- Full of plant-based protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber
- Perfect for early spring weather
It is my version of the perfect springtime soup: full of soothing flavor and featuring spring peas and asparagus (my springtime produce all-star combo). I added slivered almonds for creaminess and plant-based protein. The peas also add plant-based protein to the soup. You can use fresh or frozen peas in this recipe.
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free and peanut-free. If you give this recipe a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your creations.Print
This quick and easy springtime soup is loaded with nutrients and soothing on the throat. I love the creamy texture and vibrant green color. It is the epitome of springtime in a bowl!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- ½ large white onion or 2 small shallots, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 large bunch of asparagus (about 12 ounces), tough ends removed then chopped
- ½ cup raw slivered almonds
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or 5 cups for a thinner, more brothy soup)
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- Optional: 4 large handfuls of spinach (adds nutrition and a more vibrant green color)
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat oil on medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until onions are fragrant and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- To the pot, add the asparagus, slivered almonds and broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes until the asparagus is fork tender. Add the green peas and cook for another minute.
- Transfer everything from the pot to a large high speed blender. Add the spinach to the blender if using. If your blender has a soup setting use the soup setting to blend everything together until silky smooth. Otherwise, blend on high for 30-60 seconds until smooth and creamy. Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste. You may want to add more broth to thin out to your desired soup consistency. Enjoy immediately and serve hot. Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: Soup