This is not your classic Mediterranean hummus. Ring in the New Year with this easy (and lucky) black-eyed pea hummus dip! In many cultures, eating black-eyed peas on New Year's Day symbolizes good luck and prosperity in the new year.
Everyone can enjoy this healthy appetizer because it is vegan, gluten-free, raw, soy-free, nut-free and sugar-free. It is packed with healthy fats, fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals. As far as hors d'oeuvres go, it doesn't get much healthier than this.
P.S. - it also makes a great sandwich spread!
About Black-Eyed Peas
Although called a pea, black-eyed peas are considered a bean. Black-eyed peas are saturated fat free and cholesterol free while providing an excellent source of vitamin B1 and a good source of fiber, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. They also contain protein, iron and calcium.
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy new year! Cheers!Print
Ring in the new year with this healthy (and lucky) black-eyed pea hummus dip. It is bursting with zesty lemon and garlic flavor and super creamy. It pairs well with freshly cut veggies, chips or pita bread. Everyone can enjoy this appetizer because it is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, sugar-free and nut free.
- 1 can black-eyed peas (15-16 oz.), drained, rinsed and patted dry
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (or more for a thinner consistency)
- ½ lemon, juiced and zested
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish options: 3-5 whole black-eyed peas, lemon zest, parsley
- In a mini or regular food processor, puree the black-eyed peas with olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally if needed. Add additional olive oil or water to thin out if needed.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, garlic, salt or pepper if desired.
- Place in a bowl and garnish with parsley, lemon zest and a couple whole black-eyed peas. Serve with fresh veggies, chips or pita bread.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: gluten-free, vegan, healthy