If you're getting excited about grilling outdoor dinners, you have to try Grilled Portobello Mushrooms and Onions made with a simple marinade. I love to enjoy them on burger buns and make a Portobello Mushroom Burger with the grilled onions. I also love to slice everything up and enjoy in tacos or on a bed of brown rice or quinoa along with my favorite sauce.
- Preheat grill with the burners on medium heat. Scrub the grill grates clean if needed.
- Clean, dry and place the mushrooms and onion rings on a large flat platter or half sheet baking sheet. Set aside.
- Prepare the marinade. Whisk together the oil, maple syrup, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper. Use a silicone brush to coat all sides of the mushrooms and onions well. If you have time allow the marinade to soak into the mushrooms and onions for about 15 minutes.
- Place the marinated portobello mushrooms and onion rings directly on the grill directly over medium heat (not offset from the burner). Cook for 8 minutes per side with the grill covered until each side has charred grill marks. Mushrooms should be knife-tender. Onions should be soft and slightly charred as well.
- Remove from grill and serve while hot. You can serve the mushrooms and grilled onion rings on a platter with my green tahini sauce, pesto, whipped feta dip, jalapeno chimichurri sauce or chermoula sauce. Serve with brown rice and hummus for a complete meal. Alternatively, serve the portobello mushroom as a "burger" on toasted whole grain bun with the grilled onion rings, lettuce, tomato and my vegan honey mustard sauce.