This time of year is perfect for big chilly smoothie bowls. I love a super thick and creamy base loaded up with fun and delicious toppings. This one is raspberry-themed and full of flavor and texture. My girls go crazy over this one. They think it almost too pretty to eat. Almost….
For a base that resembles ice cream, I opt for frozen bananas. To freeze bananas, slice into 1-inch chunks and place on a flat surface lined with parchment paper in your freezer for 6-8 hours. Be sure the banana chunks are separated or they will freeze together and be more difficult to blend. I try to use as little liquid as possible. If it is having difficulty blending then I use my blender’s tamper (or plunger) that fits inside the lid and pushes all the frozen ingredients safely into the blades. I also add the frozen ingredients in batches. It is worth the extra effort to get that luxurious smoothie base that will make you feel like you’re eating frozen yogurt for breakfast.
This smoothie is naturally sweetened with dates and flavored with vanilla. The toppings also add loads of flavor. I use frozen berries, shredded coconut and dragon fruit…plus, a big dollop of raspberry chia jam swirled with raw almond butter. SO good!
I hope you enjoy this creamy vegan raspberry smoothie bowl recipe as much as our family does! It is gluten-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free, vegan, soy-free and peanut-free. If you give it a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see you enjoying your creations.Print
This vegan smoothie bowl is sweet, tart and super thick. It has fun toppings that compliment the flavors of the nutritious smoothie base. The base is mainly raspberries and bananas. The raspberries offer dietary fiber and vitamin C. And the bananas are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6 and fiber. They are also high in potassium.
This smoothie bowl is quick and easy to make and makes for a playful presentation for adults or kids!
- 4 large pitted Medjool dates (or substitute 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup blanched and slivered almonds or raw cashews
- 2 frozen sliced bananas
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, plain plant-based milk (I recommend almond milk)*
- Boost It: 1 tablespoon chia seeds, hemp seeds and/or ground flaxseed
- In a high speed blender, add all the ingredients except the frozen raspberries. Blend until smooth and creamy. Add the frozen raspberries and blend again until no chunks remain.
- Taste and adjust sweetness and flavors as desired. Pour into 1-2 shallow bowls and garnish as shown in the picture. Or, be creative and do your own thing.
*If you need to use more milk to get the blender going try adding only a little bit at a time. If you use too much the smoothie bowl will lose its creaminess and thickness.
Keywords: smoothie bowl