For the taquitos
- 18 tortillas (I love almond flour Siete brand)
- extra virgin olive oil
- refried beans or black bean dip
- 1 batch homemade vegan mozzarella cheese
- fine salt for sprinkling
Optional Toppings for Serving/Garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a large cast iron skillet or rimmed baking sheet generously with olive oil.
- Prepare the refried beans (or black bean dip) and mozzarella cheese. Prepare desired toppings.
- To assemble the taquitos: generously brush both sides of the tortilla with olive oil. About 1 inch from one end of the tortilla place 1 tablespoon refried beans and 1 tablespoon vegan mozzarella cheese. Do not overfill. Spread the filling into an even line across the shell. Tightly roll the shell starting with the edge with the fillings and working your way to the end. Place seam side down in a cast iron skillet or baking pan. Repeat with all the tortillas and continue adding them to the skillet/pan until full. Be sure to leave an inch of space between each taquito. Drizzle and brush more olive oil overtop and around the the sides of the taquitos. Sprinkle the tops of the taquitos with salt. I typically use 3 large baking pans and/or cast iron skillets or make in 3-4 batches using one large pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes with the seam side down, then flip and bake another 5-10 minutes until edges are golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot with desired toppings. I love to serve with all the fixings and my kids love them plain!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to two months. You can wrap them individually in foil if desired. Remove foil and reheat in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until warmed through (about 20 minutes).
You can substitute my creamy vegan black bean dip in place of the refried beans.
You can use avocado oil in place of the olive oil if desired. You can use olive oil spray or avocado oil spray to lighten this recipe up a bit.
Instead of baking, you can pan fry the taquitos for a couple minutes until crispy/golden brown in an inch of hot oil if desired. I haven’t tested them in the air fryer yet but I’m sure those would be delicious too using oil spray.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
- Cuisine: MExican
Keywords: vegan taquitos