The chocolate-cherry combination has always been a winning one in my book so I figured why not put it in smoothie bowl form? Smoothie bowls are a fun and beautiful way to cram in loads of nutrients into one filling breakfast. I love to decorate mine with toppings that provide different textures. Anything crunchy is great with the creamy, silky smoothie underneath. It reminds me of digging into a frozen yogurt with loads of toppings. What is better than that?
This smoothie bowl is packed with nutrition from acai, cherries, cauliflower and even spinach if desired. Of course, I had to add in my favorite smoothie boosters including hemp seeds, raw almond butter, chia seeds, cacao nibs and cacao powder. It is naturally sweetened from dates which means it is refined sugar-free despite tasting incredibly decadent. So while tasting like dessert this smoothie bowl provides plant-based protein, dietary fiber, antioxidants and healthy fats.
This recipe calls for one cup of frozen cherries which boost the nutrition. Cherries have a vibrant red color that comes from the antioxidant, anthocyanin, and rank high on the antioxidant scale. According to the Produce for Better Health Foundation, a growing body of science reveals that cherries have among the highest levels of disease fighting antioxidants when compared to other fruits. Plus, they contain important nutrients such as beta carotene, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, iron, fiber and folate. In fact, emerging evidence links cherries to heart-health benefits including reduced inflammation, total cholesterol and belly fat. Experts suggest that one to two servings of cherries daily can help provide some of the health benefits identified in the research.
This recipe also calls for cacao nibs and cacao powder. If you want to learn more about cacao nibs and cacao powder and how they are different from dark chocolate and unsweetened cocoa powder, be sure to check out this article I wrote all about the different forms of chocolate and their health benefits.
This nutritious smoothie bowl recipe is vegan, gluten-free and soy-free. If you give it a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your beautiful smoothie bowl creations.Print
This is a plant-based smoothie bowl that tastes like dessert but is loaded with nutrients and protein. This recipe sneaks in two veggies if desired. It is sweet, refreshing and decadent all at once!
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 frozen unsweetened acai packet
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower (optional or substitute more frozen cherries)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons raw almond butter
- 3-4 dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 handful of ice
- 1-2 handfuls of fresh spinach (optional)
- Topping suggestions: cacao nibs, hemp seeds, fresh cherries, shaved dark chocolate, slivered almonds, granola, dried coconut flakes or strips
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. This makes a thick smoothie so you may need to scrape down the sides occasionally to get it started or use your tamper (if that comes with your blender). You may want to add the ice at the very end.
- Taste and add more dates until it is your desired sweetness. Add more ice or frozen fruit if you want a thicker, frostier smoothie.
- Pour into two small bowls and decorate with your desired toppings. Enjoy immediately with a spoon.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Category: Smoothie