Vegan Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes were an instant favorite in my house, and a super filling plant-based meal to make in under an hour!
- 4 sweet potatoes, skin on, scrubbed clean and dried well
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped (include the seeds and juices)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 batch Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1, 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, large stems removed, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 small lime, juiced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Poke holes all over the sweet potatoes using a fork. Coat the sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil using a silicone brush. Make sure all sides of all four potatoes are generously covered in oil. Sprinkle each sweet potato generously with salt. Place the sweet potatoes directly on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes until a knife easily can pierce through the thickest part of the thickest sweet potato.
- While the potatoes are baking, in a large skillet warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt and saute for 7 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook over low heat for another 3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes until they start to break down.
- Add tomato paste, taco seasoning and black beans. Saute another 3-5 minutes until everything is well combined and looks saucy. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro, green onions and fresh lime juice. Set aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are done cooking, halve each of them lengthwise. Use a fork to mash the inside of the sweet potato to create a well in the center. Place each sweet potato on a plate. Top each half of the sweet potatoes with the black bean tomato mixture (in the center well). Garnish with more cilantro and green onions if desired.
- More serving suggestions: vegan sour cream, sliced avocado, homemade guacamole, and/or jalapeno chimichurri sauce.
- Enjoy immediately while hot with a fork and knife. The sweet potato skin should be nicely seasoned and crunchy and is edible.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 55
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: vegan Mexican stuffed sweet potatoes