A filling vegan smoothie bowl that tastes like dessert. Top it off with your favorite toppings for an even more filling and decadent breakfast. This is a fruit-free smoothie and features sweet potato. It offers fiber, healthy fats and plant-based protein.
For the smoothie:
- 1 cup, cooked and cooled sweet potato (frozen works too)
- ½ cup unsweetened plant milk, chilled (almond milk or cashew milk)
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter
- 2 soft pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups ice cubes
- In a high speed blender, add the cooked sweet potato, plant milk, almond butter, dates, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Blend until smooth and creamy (about 45 seconds). Add the ice and blend again. Taste and add more ice if you want a thicker and frostier smoothie. You may want to adjust the spices at this time.
- Pour into a large bowl and top with your favorite toppings. Pictured here I used my homemade Pecan Granola, hemp seeds and chia seeds. Enjoy Immediately.
To cook the sweet potato:
- Place a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil on the bottom rack of your oven. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Pierce the potato with a fork on one side then place directly on the middle rack (not on a baking sheet and not wrapped in foil).
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until tender and the skin is thin and toasty. Baking time will vary based on the diameter of your sweet potato. You may need up to 60 minutes for a large sweet potato. The bottom baking sheet will catch any drippings for an easy cleanup.
- Remove from oven and pierce with a knife to ensure it is fully cooked. Allow the potatoes to cool for 5-10 minutes for easier handling. Slice the potatoes in half and split the flesh down the center.
- For this recipe you will likely use one half of the sweet potato (1 cup). You can store the other half in an airtight container for another smoothie. For this recipe you will want the sweet potato to be fully cooled before using in the smoothie so I like to cook it the night before and chill in the refrigerator overnight.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Smoothie Bowl
- Cuisine: Breakfast
Keywords: vegan sweet potato pie smoothie bowl