This easy plant-based and gluten-free entree will simplify your life in the most delicious way! The warm brown rice, beans and sautéed onions and peppers pair beautifully with the chilled and refreshing pico de gallo and creamy avocado. These burrito bowls are full of good-for-you ingredients that will fill you up without making you feel stuffed. Mexican night is on!
For the bell pepper saute (serve hot):
- 3 medium bell peppers (I like to use one red, one orange and one yellow), stem and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large white or red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- optional: 1 glove fresh garlic, minced + 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- pico de gallo (salsa fresca)
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice* (serve warm or hot)
- 1 can black beans, drained (serve room temperature or warm) or sub my Easy Creamy Black Bean Dip
- 1/3 cup guacamole (or 1 avocado, diced)
- vegan sour cream
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- lime wedges
- fresh cilantro leaves
- For the bell pepper saute: Bring a 12-inch cast iron skillet to medium-low heat and add bell peppers, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add garlic and chili powder if desired for added flavor. Cook for 20 minutes or until bell peppers are tender, stirring occasionally. This can be made a couple days in advance and warmed just before serving.
- Prepare the pico de gallo. cooked rice, black beans, guacamole and vegan sour cream.
- Assemble your bowls: Add 1 cup of warm or hot cooked rice to each bowl. Add 1/2 cup room temperature or warm black beans to each bowl. Add 1/2 cup warm or hot sautéed bell peppers and 1/2 cup of chilled pico de gallo to each bowl. Just before serving add guacamole, vegan sour cream and romaine lettuce (all should be chilled in advance).
- Garnish the bowls with lime wedges and cilantro leaves. Enjoy!
Enjoy the extra pico de gallo with your favorite chips! Store extra ingredients in an airtight container in your refrigerator and assemble more bowls throughout the week. You will likely have some leftover black beans and sautéed bell peppers & onions.
When I’m in a rush I use frozen white or brown rice and microwave it.
If you have extra time, turn the black beans into creamy refried beans. To do this, pour the entire can of black beans into a saucepan and mash with a potato masher while they cook over medium heat. Season with salt, garlic and chili powder if desired. So good!
You could also add my vegan walnut taco meat to this bowl.
Serve with my Jalapeno Chimichurri Sauce – so good!
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mexican