Warm, salty and crispy “breaded” cauliflower bites dipped in a cool and creamy vegan garlic cilantro lime sauce. Instead of using traditional frying/breading methods, this recipe is oven-baked and uses ground-up pea crisps which provide a bit of plant-based protein in every bite. You’re going to love this veggie-forward appetizer that is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free and nut-free.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a completely dry food processor, pulse the pea crisps until fully pulverized. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together water and arrowroot powder. Set aside.
- To “batter” the cauliflower florets, dip them one at a time, first into the water/arrowroot powder mixture and second into the ground-up pea crispy mixture until fully coated. Place on the baking sheet and repeat until all florets have been fully coated.
- Bake the cauliflower for 20 minutes then flip each one 180 degrees and bake another 10 minutes, watching closely at the end to ensure they do not burn. If you want to get them extra crispy you can broil them at 500 degrees Fahrenheit for 1-2 minutes at the very end.
- Use tongs to transfer the crispy cauliflower poppers to a serving platter. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt. If desired you can also garnish with lime wedges and fresh cilantro. Serve immediately while hot with the cold Creamy Vegan Garlic Cilantro Lime Sauce.
These are best served fresh. They can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoyed later but they will not be as crispy as when they are fresh out of the oven.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven Baked
Keywords: crispy cauliflower poppers