This recipe for Skillet Italian Vegan Mushroom Pasta is an absolute must-make favorite that my whole family loves!
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms, quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 3/4 teaspoon maple sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 shallot, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, large stems removed, leaves finely chopped
- 8 ounces pasta, gluten-free if desired
- 1 batch cashew cream
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta cooking water
- Preheat a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil and once the oil starts to shimmer add mushrooms and spices (salt, maple sugar, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, pepper). Cook for 20 stirring every couple minutes to ensure even browning.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream sauce and cook the pasta in salted water according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and set aside. Be sure to reserve at least 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water for the sauce.
- To the cooked mushrooms, add shallot and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes on low heat. You know the mushrooms are done cooking when they have released all their juices and then the juices evaporate from the pan completely. After the juices have been released and after they have evaporated the mushrooms can sear against the oiled cast iron skillet. They should look golden brown and seared on all sides. The shallot and garlic should turn fragrant and the shallot should turn slightly translucent. Continue cooking on low heat until this is achieved.
- Once the mushrooms are done cooking, add parsley, cooked pasta, cashew cream and stir well to combine. Add the reserved pasta cooking water to thin out the cream sauce to your desired consistency. Serve immediately while hot.
How to Serve Creamy Vegan Mushroom Pasta
If you don't want to do pasta, there are still so many ways to enjoy these mushrooms with cream sauce!
- I think this would be delicious over a Roasted Sweet Potato if you don't want to do pasta and the combination of savory and sweet flavors would be incredible!
- For even more veggies, try using zucchini noodles or Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash.
- You could also serve the mushrooms with the cream sauce overtop Perfectly Cooked Quinoa in the Instant Pot or brown rice with Crispy Chickpea "Croutons."
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian