Fluffy quinoa, tender maple roasted butternut squash, and crunchy apples are the just-right mix for this delicious vegan salad. It’s a flavorful side dish or a tasty and light main! Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Quinoa Salad is the warm fall salad of my dreams! Top it off with candied pecans for the perfect finishing touch.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (cooked in the Instant Pot with 1 cup of water)*
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
- 2 SweetTango apples, chopped (skin on)
- 1/3 cup crumbled vegan feta cheese
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup Healthy Maple Candied Pecans, roughly chopped**
- 1/4 cup diced chives
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, diced
- Optional: garnish with a handful of fresh pomegranate seeds OR 2 soft Medjool dates, diced
Maple Apple Cider Dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- Cook the quinoa in the Instant Pot*. While the quinoa cooks prepare your dressing and other ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cooked quinoa with the butternut squash, apples, feta cheese, red onion, pecans, chives and parsley.
- Whisk the dressing well and pour overtop the salad. Stir well to combine.
- Optional: Garnish with a handful of pomegranate seeds or diced Medjool dates.
- Enjoy immediately while the butternut squash, quinoa and pecans are hot or warm.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container (or separate smaller airtight containers for lunch on-the-go). Salad lasts in the refrigerator for up to five days. Bring back to room temperature before enjoying for best results.
*Use two cups of water if using the stovetop to cook the quinoa. Use my easy stovetop method for perfectly cooked quinoa. In the Instant Pot put the quinoa and water in the pot and cook on Manual high pressure for one minute. Then, press off and allow it to naturally release for 15 minutes. Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Allow to slightly cool before adding to the salad.
**For a nut-free version use my Sweet & Salty Roasted Pepita Seeds in place of the Candied Pecans.
- Category: Side or Entree
Keywords: butternut squash and apple quinoa salad