Lebanese Rice is a fun and flavorful twist on plain white rice, and I’ve made it easy as can be in the Instant Pot! Toasted with Vermicelli noodles and cinnamon, this rice dish is ready to be paired with your favorite main dishes and give your kitchen a Middle Eastern flair.
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup gluten-free vermicelli noodles*
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2.5 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup raw pine nuts
- 1/2 cup sliced (or slivered) almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup fresh Italian flat leaf parsley leaves (large stems removed), finely chopped
- Place rice in a large fine mesh strainer and rinse well with water for a couple minutes until the water runs clean. Use your hands to move the rice around to ensure all the rice gets well rinsed. Leave the rice in the stainer and place in a large bowl full of water to allow the rice to soak for 20 minutes. If you do not have time you can skip the soaking step. Soaking the rice makes the rice fluffier when cooked and more restaurant-style quality. However, this recipe will still work well without soaking.
- Hit the “Saute” button on your Instant Pot and add oil, noodles, salt and cinnamon. Saute for 5-7 minutes until noodles are golden brown and lightly toasted. Use a large wooden spoon to saute the noodles being careful not to leave them unattended or they will burn.
- Add rinsed, soaked and DRAINED rice to the Instant Pot overtop the toasted noodles and continue to saute another 5 minutes to toast the rice. This helps get everything in the dish nice and flavored before cooking.
- Press “Off” and add water to the Instant Pot overtop the rice and noodle mixture. Give it a quick stir and then secure the lid of the Instant Pot. Place the valve to “Sealed” not “Vent” and press the “Rice” function which cooks it on low pressure for 12 minutes.
- While it cooks, toast the nuts and prep your finely chopped parsley leaves. To toast the nuts, warm a skillet over medium heat. Add oil, pine nuts, almonds and salt and saute over low to medium heat for 10 minutes until nuts are lightly toasted and golden brown. Be careful not to burn. Set aside until rice is finished cooking.
- Once the rice is finished cooking (Instant Pot will beep) press “Off” and manually release the steam by moving the valve from “Sealed” to “Vent.” Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve rice while hot with toasted nuts and fresh parsley garnished overtop.
- Serve with hummus, vegan tzatziki sauce, crispy chickpeas, roasted veggies, grilled veggies and/or falafel for a full meal.
- This recipe makes a large amount. Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week.
*Look for gluten-free rice vermicelli noodles if you are gluten-free. If not, any type of vermicelli will work. I have even used Jovial gluten-free brown rice capellini noodles and broken them up by hand into 1-inch pieces and that worked great.
- Category: Side
- Method: Pressure Cooker and Stovetop
- Cuisine: Lebanese
Keywords: instant pot lebanese rice