Flavorful, crispy, and satisfying Buffalo Cauliflower Wings are a must-have when it comes to game day…and these are vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 medium (1.5 pound) head of cauliflower, cut into small even-sized florets (see my 1-minute video on how to cut cauliflower into florets)
- 3 tablespoons filtered water
- 5 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (this is my homemade gluten-free vegan version)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter and/or avocado oil spray
- 1 cup vegan paleo buffalo sauce (I love Primal Kitchen – 1 bottle is 1 cup)
- serve with my homemade vegan ranch dip alongside carrot and celery sticks
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a half sheet baking sheet with parchment paper OR spray a cast iron skillet very generously with avocado oil.
- Pour the breadcrumbs into a wide bowl and set aside. I find this recipe works best with finer breadcrumbs. The larger chunks won’t stick as well to the cauliflower.
- In another bowl, whisk together water and arrowroot powder until smooth. It should be thick and sticky like glue. This is your batter.
- To “batter” the cauliflower florets, dip them one at a time, first into the water/arrowroot powder mixture (fully coating) and second into the panko breadcrumb mixture until fully coated on all sides with breadcrumbs. Place on the baking sheet or in the skillet and repeat until all florets have been fully coated.
- Spray the breaded cauliflower wings very generously with avocado oil spray. Or, drizzle half of the melted butter overtop. Bake for 15 minutes on the middle rack.
- Remove from oven and toss the cauliflower wings well in the buffalo sauce to fully coat each piece. You can do this on the pan directly by drizzling the buffalo sauce overtop each piece or place all cauliflower in a bowl and toss very gently with tongs until fully coated. Once fully coated in the buffalo sauce, bake another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and use tongs to flip each floret 180 degrees. Drizzle with the rest of the melted butter (or spray with more avocado oil spray). Bake another 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy watching closely at the end to ensure they do not burn.
- If you want to get them extra crispy you can broil them at 550 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple minutes at the very end (again watch closely to avoid burning).
- Use tongs to transfer the crispy cauliflower wings to a serving platter. Serve immediately while hot alongside carrot and celery sticks with chilled vegan ranch dressing for dipping.
These are best served fresh. They can be stored in an airtight container in your refrigerator and enjoyed later but they will not be as crispy as when they are fresh out of the oven. If reheating from the refrigerator broil for a couple minutes to help them get crispy again.
Avocado oil spray works for a lighter version but I prefer the flavor and texture with the melted vegan butter.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven Baked
Keywords: best cauliflower buffalo wings