California Avocado Veggie Burgers are a summertime must-have. They've got a hearty, grillable texture that gets two thumbs up from everyone who tries them! Jalapeno, cilantro, and red onion give a just-right California flavor that you won't believe. It's going to become your new favorite veggie burger recipe!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno, stem removed, seeded and diced
- 1/2 California avocado, mashed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed, dried and mashed
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled old fashioned oats
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, large stems removed
- 1 cup homemade gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- California avocado slices
- tomato slices
- red onion slices
- homemade avocado cilantro jalapeno lime sauce
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onions, jalapeno and a pinch of salt. Saute on medium heat until onions are fragrant, translucent and soft (about 7 minutes). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mashed avocado with the black beans and use a potato masher to mash the black beans. It is okay if some beans are partially mashed for texture. Set aside.
- In a food processor, process the oats until it becomes oat flour. Add cilantro and process until well combined. Mix the oats and cilantro to the avocado and black bean bowl.
- Add the onions and jalapeno to the mixing bowl, then the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and garlic powder to the mixing bowl too. Combine everything well using a spoon. Divide the mixture into 4-6 even portions depending on how thick and large you like your veggie burger. When I divide the mixture into 4 portions I can make the patties about 3 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick.
- To cook the patties you can either use the stovetop or the grill. If using the stovetop, heat the same cast iron skillet that you used for the onions and jalapeno. Bring to medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Once hot, add the patties and allow them to sear for about 5 minutes per side until a crispy golden brown crust forms on the outside. If using the grill, bring the grill to high heat and lightly brush the veggie burgers with olive oil. Grill each side for 10 minutes with the grill closed. Carefully and gently flip the burgers using a spatula.
- Once the veggie burgers are cooked you can enjoy on their own or put on a bun with your favorite burger toppings such as California avocado, lettuce, tomato and red onion.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Main
- Method: Stovetop or Grill