This Walnut Crusted Roasted Delicata Squash recipe is a flavorful, nutritious and easy side dish that is sweet, savory, salty, crispy and satisfying. When roasted, delicata squash has a tender texture with crisp golden edges that make each piece irresistible. Serve it as a fall side dish or over salads, in grain bowls or in tacos.
- 1 delicata squash, ends trimmed and discarded, halved lengthwise, seeded with a spoon and cut into 1/4-inch thick half moons
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup raw walnuts, processed until fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- spray bottle of avocado oil
- Garnishes: flaky sea salt and fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed half sheet baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the prepared delicata squash on the prepared baking sheet making sure they are not touching one another. You may need to use two baking sheets so the squash is spread out well and does not steam.
- Drizlee with the maple syrup, oil, salt and pepper and toss until all squash are evenly coated. Sprinkle with the walnuts that have been processed.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 7 minutes then flip each piece of squash a full 180 degrees and bake for another 7 minutes until soft and golden brown on the edges. Garnish with the parsley and flaky salt if desired. Serve hot.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled in an airtight container for up to four days. Reheat in the oven on a parchment lined baking sheet.
You do not need to peel the delicate skin of the delicata squash. The skin is thin and tender enough to eat.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: roasted delicata squash