A spicy, thick and hearty chili that is loaded with plant-based protein. It has a subtle sweetness from the carrots, tomatoes and sweet potatoes. Top it with avocado, red onions, jalapeno, cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime for the perfect healthy chili bowl.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, skin removed and chopped into tiny cubes (~1/4 inch thick)
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into tiny cubes (~1/4 inch thick)
- 2, 15 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- 1, 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1, 14.5 ounce can pinto beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1, 14.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (2 tablespoons for a less spicy chili)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you want a spicy chili)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Garnish ideas: fresh cilantro, lime, avocado, diced red onion, jalapeno slices, vegan sour cream, vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in onion, garlic, salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in remaining ingredients (sweet potato, carrots, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, broth and Worcestershire sauce); stir for about 20 seconds. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30-45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavors come together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary. Garnish with anything you’d like (such as avocado, diced red onion, jalapeno, cilantro or lime slices).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to five days.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Entree