Making your own pasta sauce has never been easier, more delicious, or more veggie-filled! Roasted Veggie Tomato Sauce is my favorite way to add hidden vegetables into pasta night. It tastes amazing, my kids ask for seconds, and I'm a happy mom!
For the veggie tomato sauce
- 1 batch caramelized onion (from one medium yellow onion)
- 1 head roasted garlic (roast in the air fryer or the oven)
- 12 ounces campari or roma tomatoes, halved
- 4 carrots, ends removed, peeled, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (measures 1 cup when chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped (measures 1 1/4 cups when chopped)
- 1 zucchini, ends removed, skin on, chopped into 1-inch pieces (measures 2 cups when chopped)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 golden beet, roasted
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 small sweet potato, peeled and roasted
- 1/4 cup raw blanched slivered almonds (to make it creamy)
- handful fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1/2 cup filtered water (to thin the sauce)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a half sheet baking sheet with parchment paper.
- If you haven't already start the process of roasting the garlic and caramelizing the onion.
- Place prepared veggies (tomatoes, carrots, bell pepper and zucchini) on baking sheet and use two spoons to toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Add Italian seasoning if desired. Spread the veggies into one even layer and space them out as much as possible. Roast for 25 minutes. No need to toss halfway through.
- Note: Start to boil your pasta water and then cook your pasta while the veggies roast so that the noodles are cooked when the sauce is ready.
- Add roasted veggies to a high speed blender. Add the caramelized onion and roasted garlic cloves. Blend on the highest speed until smooth.
- If desired, add any of the optional add-ins and blend again. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add water to thin if a thinner sauce is desired. Add almonds for a creamier sauce.
- Serve hot overtop cooked pasta noodles.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for up to two months. For freezer storage be sure to leave at least 1-inch of space at the top of the storage container to allow room for expansion.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Condiment/Sauce
- Method: Oven and Blender
Keywords: Veggie Tomato Sauce