Red Wine Spaghetti with Mushrooms and Parsley-Pesto Sauce is a romantic and flavorful dish that is quick and easy to make! This version is vegan and gluten-free.
- 10 ounces of gluten-free spaghetti or capellini pasta
- 5 cups water
- 3 1/4 cups full bodied, good quality, dry red wine (3 cups for boiling pasta plus 1/4 cup for sautéing)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup raw pepitas (or any raw nut or seed)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder (plus more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (plus more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
- Garnish: vegan parmesan cheese, 2 green onions (thinly sliced), caramelized onions and additional chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- In a large pot bring 5 cups of water and 3 cups of red wine to a rolling boil on high heat. Add a pinch of salt. Add spaghetti and cook according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, prepare the parsley pesto. Add oil, parsley, garlic, pepitas, salt, pepper, onion powder and red pepper flakes to a mini food processor and pulse until a chunky pesto is formed. Set aside.
- Before draining, reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the rest and return the pasta to the pot. Pour in the reserved cooking liquid and the additional 1/4 cup red wine into the pot and simmer on low heat. Add mushrooms and butter and stir frequently for about 5 minutes until mushrooms are mostly cooked. Just before serving stir in all the pesto. Toss well so the noodles and mushrooms are fully coated. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Divide between two bowls or plates and garnish with vegan parmesan cheese, caramelized onions, additional parsley and sliced green onions. Best enjoyed immediately.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Red Wine Pasta