This refreshing green juice is loaded with nutrients and tastes incredible - so much better than any bottled juice I've ever had! And way less expensive too. The slightly sweet and tart green apple offsets the vegetables. The lemon brightens everything and the ginger helps to mask the bitter flavor of the greens.
- 1 head of celery (leaves are okay here too) [one head typically yields 12 celery stalks]
- 1/2 English cucumber, skin on
- 1 large green apple, quartered (stem and core left intact)
- 1 bunch of fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley, leaves AND stems included
- 8 large Lacinato kale leaves (any variety of kale works or any leafy green such as 5 ounces of baby spinach)
- 1-inch fresh ginger (not need to peel)*
- 1 lemon (no need to peel)**
- Wash all your produce well. Prep your produce according to the ingredient list details above.
- Fill your juicers pitcher halfway with ice cubes.
- Place celery in the chute and juice on the low speed.
- Place 2 of the apple wedges in the chute followed by the parsley, kale and ginger. Then place more apple on top of that so the parsley and ginger are sandwiched between the apple. This will help them juice more easily and efficiently. Juice on the high speed. If your juicer's chute cannot fit all this at once divide into two batches - just be sure to place the parsley, kale and ginger between two apple slices.
- Juice the lemon on low speed if peeled and high speed if not peeled.
- The juice will now be in the chute and chilling over the ice cubes. Give the juice a good stir with a spoon while in the pitcher. With the pitcher's lid on (to catch the frothy part) pour the fresh juice into two large glasses filled with ice cubes. Enjoy immediately.
* I typically use 2 inches of ginger but I know most people don't like it too spicy. I suggest starting with 1 inch from a knob of ginger and you can always add more the next time as you get used to it. I love the taste (and health benefits) of ginger but I know not everyone does. You can also just leave it out if desired. When I make this for my kids I leave it out.
If you prefer it sweeter, add a sweet red apple, juiced on high speed. You can leave the skin and core intact. I typically cut into four wedges so it can fit in my chute.
Homemade juice is best enjoyed immediately but you can store in an airtight container (to the very top ideally) in your refrigerator for up to 24 hours. If you do, be sure to shake well before enjoying.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Juicer
Keywords: homemade green juice