For the chocolate rice crispy layer
- 1/2 cup vegan, refined sugar-free dark chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup runny unsweetened, unsalted creamy raw almond butter (a new jar works best here)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups gluten-free unsweetened brown rice crisp cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon of fine salt
For the almond butter layer
- 2/3 cup raw creamy almond butter (runny works best here)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
Chocolate Drizzle Layer
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips, melted
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- For the chocolate rice crispy layer: Place melted chocolate and melted coconut oil in large mixing bowl. Add almond butter, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well combined, about 1 minute. Next stir in the brown rice crisp cereal and salt until well combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan, and use a spatula to flatten the top so it is even and well compact. Alternatively, you could place a new sheet of parchment paper overtop the treats and then use the bottom of a glass to press the mixture down without it sticking to the bottom of the glass. Place baking pan in the freezer to set while you prepare the next layer.
- For the almond butter layer: In a clean mixing bowl whisk well to combine the almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil and salt. Pour overtop the chocolate rice crispy layer and place back in the freezer for 2 hours to set.
- Drizzle melted chocolate overtop the almond butter layer. Place in the freezer for a couple minutes to set the chocolate drizzle layer.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and lift the parchment paper to remove the bars from the baking pan. Allow to thaw a couple minutes at room temperature then slice into 16 bars. Serve.
- The rice crispy treats can be stored covered in an airtight container in the freezer for up to one month. The treats will slightly soften at room temperature within 10-15 minutes.
For an alternate base try using my almond butter rice crispy treats as the first layer. So good in this recipe too!
- Prep Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
Keywords: chocolate rice crispy treats