These perfectly portioned bite-sized game day snacks pop right in your mouth. They are bursting with flavor and work for everyone since they are vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and refined sugar free. Whether you are serving these yummy bites on game day or any gathering they are sure to please a crowd while still being healthy.
- 1/2 pound (~11 mini peppers) Divine Flavor Tribelli Peppers (for roasting)
- 1, 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- 1/4 cup raw tahini (runny not hardened)
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1.5 pounds Divine Flavor Tribelli Peppers (~33 mini peppers), halved lengthwise with seeds removed (for stuffing)*
- Roast the peppers: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper. Once the oven preheats, place 1/2 pound of peppers on the baking sheet. Leave the peppers whole for roasting (no need to remove stems or seed them at this point). Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes until the skin is lightly charred and soft. The peppers should slightly collapse. Remove baking sheet from oven and allow peppers to cool before handling. Once cooled, the stem should easily pop off along with the seeds. These peppers do not have many seeds and it is okay if some seeds remain. Discard the stems and any seeds and place the roasted peppers in a large food processor. There is no need to remove the skin off the peppers.
- Make the hummus: To the food processor, add the garbanzo beans, water, tahini, garlic, salt and pepper. Process for at least one minute. For an even smoother hummus, continue to process another couple minutes if you have time. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. You can serve this hummus on its own with raw veggies, chips, crackers or pretzels. If serving as a dip, place hummus in a bowl and garnish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, fresh parsley and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Or, you can use the hummus to stuff additional peppers for a fun, bite-sized, easy pick-up appetizer.
- Stuff the peppers: If stuffing the peppers, halve them lengthwise, remove seeds and gently fill with hummus using a small spoon. Sprinkle each mini pepper bite with a small drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh parsley and smoked paprika (as shown in pictures).
*You can leave the stem on the stuffed mini peppers for serving (as pictured). Additionally, you can roast the mini bell pepper "boats" prior to stuffing if desired. I find the recipe even more flavorful this way if you have time. Simply toss them with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Roast them on a parchment lined baking sheet skin side up for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to cool before handling them, then stuff with the hummus and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of parsley and smoked paprika.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Appetizer