This rustic and flavorful Easy Vegan Apple Crisp uses fresh Granny Smith apples and a gluten-free topping. This recipe is refined sugar-free and so simple to pull together.
For the filling:
- 3 lbs. Granny Smith apples, (~ 7 medium apples) skinned, cored, stem removed, thinly sliced and chopped (9–10 cups once sliced and chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1/4 C. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- 2 C. quick cooking oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 2 C. blanched almond flour
- 1/2 C. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan fine salt
- 1/2 C. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp. softened vegan butter or softened coconut oil (not melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 13 x 9-inch ceramic baking dish with vegan butter, avocado oil or coconut oil.
- In a large-sized mixing bowl combine all apple filling ingredients until well incorporated (9 cups apple slices, 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, 1/4 cup pure maple syrup and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon). Place in greased casserole dish. Set aside.
- In the same bowl combine 2 cups quick cooking oats, 2 cups blanched almond flour, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan fine salt. Stir well to incorporate. Add 1/2 cup pure maple syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and stir well. Add 6 tablespoons softened vegan butter or softened coconut oil use a fork to mash until well incorporated and crumbly. Use your hands to sprinkle this mixture overtop the apples into one even layer that mostly covers the apples. Do not press the mixture down into the apples.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and place the baking dish on the middle rack of the preheated oven. Cook for 45 minutes covered and then 5-10 minutes uncovered until the apple filling is bubbling on the sides and the cobbler topping is golden brown. The apples should be fork tender.
- Remove from oven and serve while hot with my easy homemade no-churn vegan vanilla ice cream.
Be sure to peel the apples. I have tested this recipe with the skin on and the texture is not as good.
My biggest tip for apple crisp success is to be sure to thinly slice your apples so they become fully tender. I like to slice them as thin as I can and then halve the slices.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
Keywords: healthy apple crisp