For the rice crispy treats:
- 1 cup runny unsweetened, unsalted creamy raw almond butter (a new jar works best here)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 3 cups gluten-free brown rice crisp cereal (I love One Degree Organics gluten-free sprouted brown rice crispy cereal – it is lightly sweetened with coconut sugar keeping it refined sugar-free)
For the topping:
- 1 batch Easy Vegan Vanilla Blender Icing (made from cashews)
- dye-free sprinkles (or crushed up freeze dried fruit)
- Line an 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond butter, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and well combined, about 1 minute. Next stir in the brown rice crisp cereal until well combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, and use a spatula to flatten the top so it is even and well compact. Alternatively, you could place a new sheet of parchment paper overtop the treats and then use the bottom of a glass to press the mixture down without it sticking to the bottom of the glass.
- Pour the vanilla icing straight from the blender over the bars. Use a mini spatula to spread out the icing into one even thin layer overtop the crispy treats. Add sprinkles (or crushed up freeze dried fruit) if desired.
- Place pan in the freezer for 3-4 hours until solid. Use a sharp knife to cut into 16 square bars and serve.
- The rice crispy treats can be stored covered in the freezer for up to one month. The treats will soften at room temperature within 10-20 minutes but should stay together. I prefer eating them straight out of the freezer.
- Category: Dessert or Snack
- Method: Freezer
Keywords: healthy frosted rice crispy treats