This is a comforting Vegan Butternut Squash Soup recipe with straightforward ingredients! I let the maple roasted butternut squash shine and added just a couple savory flavors to this recipe for the ultimate comforting fall and winter soup. Make it in the blender and savor every creamy bite!
- Maple Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 roasted garlic cloves* (see notes)
- 3 cups filtered water
- 2 tablespoons homemade vegan cashew cream (learn all about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews in this post!)
- Optional garnishes: homemade vegan cashew cream (thin out with water to drizzle and swirl with a chopstick), pomegranate arils, minced fresh chives, microgreens, and/or freshly ground black pepper
- Make the Maple Roasted Butternut Squash and roast the garlic (see notes).
- While they roast, heat a small skillet on the stovetop over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, diced shallot, salt and pepper. Saute for 5-7 minutes until shallots are fragrant and translucent. Add to blender.
- Add the maple roasted butternut squash, 3 cloves of roasted garlic, water and cashew cream to blender. Blend on highest speed until smooth and creamy. Add more water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Serve piping hot. Divide into 4-6 bowls and add desired garnishes.
- Store leftovers once fully cooled to room temperature. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days or in the freezer for up to two months. If freezing, be sure to allow one inch of space at the top of the storage container to allow for expansion.
*To roast garlic: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice the top off an entire head of garlic (about 1/4-inch so the garlic cloves are exposed). Wrap the garlic bulb in foil (cut side up) and place in a small ramekin that is oven safe. Drizzle generously with extra virgin olive oil (about 1/2 tablespoon). Sprinkle generously with fine salt. Cover in foil tightly so the garlic is not exposed. Place the ramekin in the oven for one hour. Remove and carefully unwrap the foil to allow the roasted garlic to cool to room temperature. Squeeze the garlic head to release the roasted garlic cloves. Reserve the roasted garlic cloves for this soup and other dishes. I usually roast a couple garlic bulbs at once and use in hummus, dressing, soups, pasta, sauces and mashed potatoes. You can see a 30 second video of how to roast garlic here.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop and Oven
Keywords: creamy vegan roasted butternut squash soup