Creamy Vegan Poppy Seed Dressing is made from a creamy cashew base, filled with sweet and tangy flavors, and finished with poppy seeds.
- Add soaked, drained and rinsed cashews to a high speed blender. Add water, vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, red onion, salt and dry mustard powder. Blend on the highest speed until perfectly smooth and creamy (about 60 seconds). No cashew bits or grittiness should remain. A food processor is not recommended here.
- Add poppy seeds and pulse five times to quickly incorporate.
- Pour the dressing from the blender into a small lidded container. Refrigerate for at least two hours before using. This is important because the dressing will be warm from blending and does not taste good warm. You want the dressing to be well chilled.
- Before using, give the dressing a quick stir. Pour overtop your favorite greens and toss well. I love to pair this dressing with red onions, avocado and tomato or fresh berries such as strawberries.
- Leftover dressing lasts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. It will thicken overnight so add a little water and shake well to thin out the dressing if desired.
* To soak cashew pour at least 1 cup of boiling hot water overtop. Let them soak at room temperature for 1 hour. If you have more time, you can also soak them overnight in your refrigerator in an airtight container with cold water. Either way, after soaking is complete, drain the water and rinse the soaked cashews in a strainer. Read more about How (and Why!) to Soak Cashews, and for a nut-free option, you can make Sunflower Seed Cream and use that instead.
I use this dressing on my patriotic Red, White and Blueberry Salad that I love to serve on Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day.
- Prep Time: 5
- Category: Dressing
- Method: Blender